Could a "Christian Naturist Society" be formed

Here you can discuss differences in belief between different denominations, or other religions and Christianity. This is an informational forum. Always be courteous and polite, and respect other people's views and values.<P>Permanent Residents may only reply to posts here; Native Residents may initiate & reply to posts here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Could a "Christian Naturist Society" be formed

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:25 pm

jochanaan wrote:Amazing; the "Society" is not even formed yet and already we're trying to write bylaws! Can we not trust the LORD to help us "know them by their fruit"? (Matthew 7:16)

Nathan suggested that we let anyone in who wished to join, no questions asked.
So how will we "know them by their fruits"?
Even secular resorts run background checks.

CNC invited people who seemed "nice" to their 2005 convocation in Virginia.
One Christian gentleman went wild on the dance floor propositioning an underage girl and I don't mean propositioning a game of table tennis either. I thought her father was going to commit murder until he calmed down a bit.

One couple who gave every appearance of orthodoxy, was Christian swinger and canvassed the resort for others to swing with. Even the pagans were offended.

A third person left religious tracts in every nook and cranny with no shortage of offended guests. (well at least nothing was stuffed in my cranny!

None of us could have anticipated this. We in the leadership tried our best to let the people who wanted to register for the event know that we are Christians with values no different from Jesus and the apostles, including our attitude about clothing.
I wish we could stand these people in front of a chalk board and make them write:
Nude is not lewd. Nude is not lewd (repeat 100 times).
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:51 pm

jochanaan wrote:Amazing; the "Society" is not even formed yet and already we're trying to write bylaws! Can we not trust the LORD to help us "know them by their fruit"? (Matthew 7:16)

I guess the question is, "Do you build a society, THEN put together bylaws, many of which may end up excluding some already in the society, or do you put together the bylaws and then invite others to join it?".

I would think that if I were building a society, I would layout as many plans as I could think of to define the society, then see how many would join in.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby bn2bnude » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:56 pm

:like:

I honestly think I would never really be welcome in this alleged group...
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 pm

bn2bnude wrote:I honestly think I would never really be welcome in this alleged group...

I have worshiped with Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal and a few pentecostal folks at CNC.
If this hypothetical society formed, why would it be any different?
Why on Earth would you feel that such an inclusive group would bar the door to you? :dizzy:

Then again, if you are Presbyterian, Nazarene, or Missionary Alliance, maybe you'd not fare as well???
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Ramblinman wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:I honestly think I would never really be welcome in this alleged group...

I have worshiped with Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal and a few pentecostal folks at CNC.
If this hypothetical society formed, why would it be any different?
Why on Earth would you feel that such an inclusive group would bar the door to you? :dizzy:

Then again, if you are Presbyterian, Nazarene, or Missionary Alliance, maybe you'd not fare as well???

I have worshiped with all those less Episcopal and the addition of Catholic and Charismatic.

I keep hearing who should be EXcluded not INcluded. Once you start excluding people where do you stop? Sooner or later you get a homogenous group that nobody wants to be a part of.

I have raised enough questions that have been challenged as extreme but not necessarily against orthodox. Those discussion points never seem to be very well received.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:01 am

I am not quite in bn2bnude's position, but not so far. Herself and I, though neither our actions nor our thoughts are that exceptional nor objectionable, though neither our words nor our expressions stand out all that far, sooner or later in almost every group we have entered, not least our families, we are perceived by all but ennea4-5 border people and a few others as eccentric, ungleichgeschaltet, unsocialized, different, uncongenial and arguably dangerous.

Seems to me, an organically developing Christian naturist society, formed and maintained by market forces [we tend to associate with those similar enouigh to be comfortable] might arise and persist, but any attempt to control the compatibility policies will soon or late mutate it to a group where neither we nor bn2bnude can be at ease.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:26 am

I am not of the opinion that we are writing the by laws, but are struggling with the definition of what a "Christian Naturist Society Would be" And in that process we are asking how would it be different from other societies. i.e. what would it have that they do not have, and what would it not have that they do. And the source of the answer to those questions is how would it be structured.

Since the first adjective in its title is Christian then it is necessary to define those characteristics. There are things that Christians do and things that they do not do But since the topic is for a society that is Christian and not a society that is denominational (e.g. Lutheran Naturist Society, Methodist Naturist Society, etc.) A working definition that describes a basic, generic Christian is needed. That is complicated because some denominations embrace things that are Anathema to other denominations.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:34 am

Ramblinman wrote:.....Nathan suggested that we let anyone in who wished to join, no questions asked.
Could you cite which post that was because I have been following this strip closely and If it is there I must have missed it.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 am

Really, what characteristic do you think would be most likely to keep you out.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 am

Bare_Truth wrote:

I am not sure I would be comfortable with all the rules and how they are so subject to change on a whim. I have been known to fellowship with some who have been rejected by certain groups, thereby violating the "do not fellowship" rule. He/they were not violating scripture. Only the groups "rule". His/their stance is actually supported by scripture.

Jesus only gave us one rule. "Love each other as I have loved you."

Jerry
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:00 am

Bare_Truth wrote:

I don't readily fall into any of those categories that NatMan posted... Except one. I was regularly called a "false teacher" by a former member here. That is probably the "most flexible" category, depending on who is defining the word.

bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:27 am

I don't understand the endless angst about this.
CNC had problems in the early years, but seems to have stabilized and done a very good job of bringing a wide variety of Christendom amicably under one big tent.
Why would CNS be any different?
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:20 am

I can have and have had solid fellowship with any who seek truth [which though not all realize it ultimately translates to seeking the Lord]. Involved with those [religious or nay] who trust they KNOW truth - my brother, Pastor Jay, etc - I have not fared as well.

I do not go for "your truth / my truth" - Truth is Truth - but too many worry that I do not buy into THEIR truth.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:55 am

Bare_Truth wrote:...Since the first adjective in its title is Christian then it is necessary to define those characteristics...
Good luck with that! Such a definite definition has eluded Christian society for nearly 2000 years. The moment we think we've come up with a good definition, we discover that it has unintended consequences--as this strip shows.

"Judging by fruit" has the advantage that the "wolves" soon show themselves in their true fur. Any attempt to keep out potential wolves (at least in my experience) also denies membership to some "sheep in sheep's clothing".
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 pm

bn2bnude wrote:
Bare_Truth wrote:

I don't readily fall into any of those categories that NatMan posted... Except one. I was regularly called a "false teacher" by a former member here. That is probably the "most flexible" category, depending on who is defining the word.

It is one thing to be CALLED a "false teacher" and another to BE a "false teacher". The Bareans were concerned that Paul might be a "false teacher", so they rightly tested everything he said against the Scriptures. Martin Luther was accused of being a "false teacher", when in reality, he was merely pointing the church BACK to the Scriptures they had been formed out of. I am sure that many of us here have been accused of or thought of as "false teachers" when we talk about our understanding of the Biblical view of the nude human body. However, when pressed to examine Scripture, others often back down, realizing that we are, in fact, correct on that matter.

"Test all things in light of Scripture and cling to that which is good." (1 Thes 5:21).
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity and other religions