A Total Eisegesis Fest

What does Christ teach about the issues of life? Make sure you back up your opinions with scripture, and always be courteous and polite in talking with others.<P>Only Permanent and Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

A Total Eisegesis Fest

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 am

If you check out the you tube video at:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9OyG2B15II I think you will see why chose the title for this post.

Did you know that if you are not covered from your shoulders to your knees and you are a guy that you are sinfully "under-clothed". Not even Islamic Sharia law is that strict. Being shirtless is nakedness for a man ! All of which this guy alleges comes from the Bible, This pastor feels he has to be a bit apologetic for instructing Christians from the old testament, but then he starts bringing in stuff from outside the Bible. This is a man on a mission and his mission is to cover us all up in clothing and lots of it and in all situations and he does this under the guise of claiming it comes from the Bible. He asserts that he knows biblically what the garments of skin that God clothed Adam and Eve with looked like and what they covered, He claims to know the reason God made leather clothing for them and totally ignores the context just two verses before about the issue of thorns and thistles that justify the functionality of leather clothing over fig leaf clothing. He preaches a concept of "under clothed" equating it with being naked and thereby links it to the idea of sin, I am surprised that this fellow does not take this all the way back to the scandalous nature of a woman having an uncovered ankle.

It is perhaps significant that this presentation was last July which as memory serves me was about the same time as there was a big flap when some women and guys fought the revised nudity ordinance in Sprigfield (where he preaches) and the women launched a "free the nipple" campaign because they did not want to have to go to the women's restroom and sit on a toilet to feed their babies.

This is the kind of radical retrograde revisionism that we really need to vehemently oppose.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: A Total Eisegesis Fest

Postby jasenj1 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Lot's of links to similar videos on that page.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat May 06, 2017 10:27 pm

jasenj1 wrote:Lot's of links to similar videos on that page.
True enough, that one caught my eye because he is based in Springfield which is just down the road a bit and we get there every so often, I though he might be the guy who wrote their new anti-nudity ordinance that set off the big brouhaha because of how it made matters worse for nursing mothers while it still allowed gross nude dancing at "gentlemen's clubs" because as memory serves the guy who authored that legislation was in fact a guy from some church congregation in the area.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jasenj1 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Many of the videos and preachers say Adam & Eve were "ashamed". But were they? Where does "shame" come from?

Gen 3:7 (NASB) "Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings."

They realized something, and they took an action. The motive or thoughts involved are not given.

Gen 3:10 "He said, "I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself.""

"I was afraid... so I hid myself" _Fear_ is the motivation, not "shame". In English, fear is defined as: "an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat."

How then is fear linked with being naked? What bad thing did Adam expect from God because he was naked? Or that would make God dangerous?

Now, there are many other verses that associate nudity & shame, but it does not come in Genesis 3.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun May 07, 2017 7:29 am

One born every minute - the flow has never been a trickle. He will appeal to some.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue May 09, 2017 7:48 pm

:roll: I "disliked" the video and added a comment.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Wed May 10, 2017 8:10 am

I didn't know you could dislike.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu May 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Petros wrote:I didn't know you could dislike.

You can on YouTube.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to Christianity and Ethics