Is it supportable exegesis

What does Christ teach about the issues of life? Make sure you back up your opinions with scripture, and always be courteous and polite in talking with others.<P>Only Permanent and Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Is it supportable exegesis

Postby jochanaan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 pm

The key concept here is entitlement. Shechem, David and Ammon felt they were entitled to follow the "lust of the flesh" (for lack of a better phrase). Many Muslim men may feel entitled to exercise what they believe is Allah's judgment against "whores." (Note all the qualifiers!) But God says "Vengeance is Mine; I will repay." We absolutely are not entitled to exercise our violent desires on any other person whatever s/he is or isn't wearing or doing.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Re: Is it supportable exegesis

Postby Quitosam » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:53 am

During a Bible study one evening some friends and I came up with this: actions do not determine destination, destination should determine actions.

No amount of rules governing actions (the modesty culture) is going to affect the heart, as has already been said here as a man thinketh in his heart so is he. I Romans 13:10 Paul says "Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."(KJV) In 1 Corinthians 13 Paul lists a number of good things to do but without love they mean nothing.

I am convinced that the first and greatest commandment (Matt 22:37 and others) must be the foundation for the christian life. The second most important commandment (also in Matt 22) builds on that foundation. If we love God like the command says and love "that" pretty woman as we love ourselves lust will not be an issue. The rub is at least for me, while I do not have a serious problem with lust, I am not sure my foundation is very strong.
Quitosam
Resident

Previous

Return to Christianity and Ethics