Evangelism Explosion

There are many views on becoming a Christian. Here you may discuss your views, and even disagree with the introductory sticky post. Make sure you offer your rationale, and talk with each other courteously and respectfully. If you are not a Christian, this is a good place to ask your questions.<P>Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Evangelism Explosion

Postby jimmy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:13 pm

Has anyone been trained in Coral Ridge Ministry Evangelism Explosion? The program is one week long and is usually held in a church with a large membership. The program takes you through a step by step dialog explaining how to become a "saved" Christian.
jimmy
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:39 pm

What other kind of Christian is there but saved? I've never heard of an unsaved Christian. I've been saved since May 18, 1963, and it was quite simple really. I didn't need to go through a week long seminar; all I needed was to repent, believe and call on the Lord to forgive and save me--and He DID!
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:07 pm

That's true, Jon-Marc; but not all who have been raised in the church and call themselves Christian understand this salvation, even if they may actually be saved and growing in grace through the Holy Spirit. Some denominations have been regrettably lax in teaching this basic truth, and in encouraging personal contact with God through Jesus and the Spirit. :(
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Strandloper » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi, Jimmy –
more than a decade ago (closer to two) I went through an EEIII course and made a number of visits (with trainers) to various homes where we presented the Good News.
I do feel that the EEIII approach is a little drastic, and that it rushes people into a decision – not necessarily the right one. Some folk who were faithful believers felt that the EEIII-style urgency was not for them, and that they did not need to make the kind of commitment that the Coral Ridge teaching demanded of them.
But I am glad I did the course, since it cleared up a number of theological issues for me (I was studying theology at the time, so I had some background in that area).
Have you been on the course, or are you looking into taking part in a seminar?
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:56 pm

Jon-Marc wrote:What other kind of Christian is there but saved? I've never heard of an unsaved Christian. I've been saved since May 18, 1963, and it was quite simple really. I didn't need to go through a week long seminar; all I needed was to repent, believe and call on the Lord to forgive and save me--and He DID!

There is definitely a cultural "christianity". Many people believe that if they grew up in a church or if their parents were "christian" they are as well. As far as being "followers of Christ", what you say is quite true.
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:28 am

Well, of course I know about "cultural Christians". I once met a woman while doing door-to-door evangelizing back in the 70's who when I asked her if she was a Christian, relied, "Of course, I'm an American." After all, this is a Christian nation, right? That's the common belief. If you're an American, you're a Christian. Non-Christians and some Christians don't know the difference between one denomination and another and link all religions together as "Christian". It doesn't matter how far from the scriptures they are, they are still considered to be Christian if they're in this country.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Evangelism Explosion

Postby jimmy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:25 pm

In response to Strandloper, I took the course over a decade ago and have found the outline to be very helpful when explaining what salvation was and how to attain it. As several have posted I would agree that it is rather intense since you arrive at a person's house, sometimes uninvited, three at a time and, as the Holy Spirit leads, present the gospel message. If the Holy Spirt is truly leading is the real issue.

What struck me was some facts that were presented at the beginning of the course. The facts actually speak to some of the issues that others have raised in response to my original question regarding EEIII and they are: 98% of any Christian congregation setting in the pews on any Sunday morning have never brought anyone to Christ. That is to say, explained the plan of salvation and helped they say the sinners prayer! Another astonishing fact was that half (50%) of all Christians pastors did not know who to present the Gospel message in a systematic way!!

If each Christian were to help bring two others to Christ and they in turn brought two others, Christianity would be world dominate in just a few months. I would like to see all Christians trained in presenting the Gospel message whether they actually go door to door or not. At least when the Holy Spirit leads there will be an educated tongue speaking. Yes, I know the Holy Spirt can and often does speak through individuals but how much better would it be if the individual were not only willing but trained? From personal experience I can tell you that there is nothing better, in this world, than to be under the influence of the Holy Spirit when witnessing to a non-believer. I can not describe the feeling of awesome glory present when this happens!

In His service,

Jimmy
jimmy
Councillor

Postby jochanaan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:48 pm

Jimmy, you speak of Holy Spirit leading, and I definitely agree. How does ESIII train people to be sensitive to the Spirit?
jochanaan
Councillor

Leading others to Jesus

Postby Tevita » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:54 pm

I don't know if I have lead anyone to Jesusyet. I do not care if I have or haven't. I just share my faith with others!! I also live my life as though Jesus is with me at all times, which he is. This I believe is more important in leading others to Jesus than intentional visiting!!
Tevita
Hot in the Tropics
Tevita
Native Resident

Postby Strandloper » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:34 am

Amen to that, Tevita.
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

Evangelism Explosion

Postby jimmy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:58 pm

How does ESIII train people to be sensitive to the Spirit? It doesn't. The Holy Spirit could use the rocks to speak to the unsaved. ESIII can better prepare the Christian to witness. Christ's Apostles were well trained. The great Christian teachers today and in the past have all been well trained. None of us would let an untrained doctor operate on us. I say the better trined a Christian is the easier it will be to answer questions that are always asked - like didn't God create Satin so He created evil or what about all those people that have never heard about salvation. Will they go to hell? ESIII is a training program with a focus on presenting the plan of salvation. Remember we have all been called to witness to the unsaved. Also remember there are many ways to witness.
jimmy
Councillor

Return to How to become a Christian