God's Economy

Members are invited to offer their thoughts on a portion of scripture or offer a meditation on some aspect of God and God's work in the world. Short sermons are also invited. Remember, this is a worship center; please keep your thoughts worshipful, and start a new thread for each new item.<P>Only Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

God's Economy

Postby Kiki » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:47 pm

We are supposed to exhort and encourage one another, and since probably most of us are concerned about what's happening with the economy, I thought I would start a thread with scriptures about "God's economy".

Probably the first ones that come to mind are these -

Mat 6:25-34 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? (26) Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? (27) Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? (28) And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: (29) And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. (30) Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? (31) Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (32) (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. (33) But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (34) Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

I've also thought about this one -

Luk 12:15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

I've also been pondering this proverb -

Pro 18:11 The rich man's wealth is his strong city, and as a high wall in his own conceit.

The rich man's "strong city" can fall.

Would anyone else like to share some scriptures about "God's economy?"
Kiki
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:37 pm

Thank you Kiki...

Good words!
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Kiki » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:45 am

bn2bnude wrote:Thank you Kiki...

Good words!

Thanks. Do you know of any you could share with us? :)
Kiki
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:06 am

Kiki wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:Thank you Kiki...

Good words!

Thanks. Do you know of any you could share with us? :)

"Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1:20-21)
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:48 am

I wrote this some time ago....

There is the concept that we are given by Jesus where he tells us that "The last shall be first, the first shall be last". Even though this is in the New Testament, we actually see the reverse economy quite a bit earlier!

After Isreal had been around for some time with no king, the people decided they wanted a King against God's better judgment. Saul was appointed (and annointed). He looked like a King. Tall, good looking, probably carried himself like a king with a bit of arrogant swagger (my thoughts). After Saul disobeyed God and his family was dethroned, David was appointed. The version of the story that I remember was Samuel, the prophet, went down the line in Davids family going.... "This one must be the king...." with the reply always.... "No".

David was the last one in the family, they even had to pull him in from his job in the fields as a shepherd.

So... Where do I fit in this economy? Where do you fit?
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Kiki » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:02 am

Isa 45:3
I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name.

Isa 60:5
Then you will look and be radiant, your heart will throb and swell with joy; the wealth on the seas will be brought to you, to you the riches of the nations will come.

Isa 61:6
And you will be called priests of the Lord, you will be named ministers of our God. You will feed on the wealth of nations, and in their riches you will boast.
Kiki
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:49 pm

Jesus also said..

Matt 5:19-21
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Hymie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:00 pm

And, of course there is "Jesus' prohibition of polygamy" in Matt 6:24:

24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
NIV
Hymie
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:16 pm

Hymie wrote:And, of course there is "Jesus' prohibition of polygamy" in Matt 6:24:

24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
NIV

???
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:40 pm

natman wrote:Jesus also said..

Matt 5:19-21
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Misprint in the Scripture reference? I believe those verses are from Matthew 6, not Matthew 5. :)
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:24 am

Actually, it was a "type", caused by my fingers being faster than my brain. I'm certain there is an -osis or an -itis for it, something like "spastichypertypohypocranitosis" for the cronic condition and "hypocranihyperspastititis" for the temporary condition.

SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby codylechien » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:55 pm

Hymie wrote:And, of course there is "Jesus' prohibition of polygamy" in Matt 6:24:

NIV

Cute! I like that. And as it happened, I was thinking about this verse this morning in regards to our Christmas program.

For some reason, we're having a Christmas program with a very popular, contemporary women's singing trio. There's no Point in telling there name. But we are spending BIG bucks to bring them in to help us celegrate the birth of someone born in a manger in a barn. At the same time, I've been motivated by Henri Nouwen's words:

"Like every human organization the Church is constantly in danger of corruption. As soon as power and wealth come to the Church, manipulation, exploitation, misuse of influence, and outright corruption are not far away.

How do we prevent corruption in the Church? The answer is clear: by focusing on the poor. The poor make the Church faithful to its vocation. When the Church is no longer a church for the poor, it loses its spiritual identity. It gets caught up in disagreements, jealousy, power games, and pettiness. Paul says, ""God has composed the body so that greater dignity is given to the parts which were without it, and so that there may not be disagreements inside the body but each part may be equally concerned for all the others"" (1 Corinthians 12:24-25). This is the true vision. The poor are given to the Church so that the Church as the body of Christ can be and remain a place of mutual concern, love, and peace."

And so, I got the church choir to adopt the food pantry cart. Now, while we've got choir members coming to rehearse for a concert with a Hollywood gendre trio, they're also bring food to feed the poor and keep the integrity of the church. Wednesday evenings are kind of like Mother Theresa meets Michael Jackson.
codylechien
Permanent Resident

Postby root » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:11 pm

codylechien wrote: Wednesday evenings are kind of like Mother Theresa meets Michael Jackson.

Better than Three Stooges meeting Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem[1]. :)

If anyone I play on the worship team with ever reads this, I still love you! :)

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Teeth_ ... ric_Mayhem
(Edited to include reference)
root
Native Resident

Postby Hymie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:17 pm

natman wrote:

NIV

???

Jokingly, wife = master.
Hymie
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:42 pm

Hymie wrote:Jokingly, wife = master.

AHHHHH!!!! I git it!!!
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Return to Worship in Devotional Thoughts