Biblically backing up our beliefs

Teens may ask their questions here, and may give advice.
Adults may only give advice on the questions asked by the teens. No Adult Rabbit Trails allowed.
Adults: Keep your advice brief and to the point. Teens don't like lectures, you know!<P>Offending posts will be removed by the Councillor.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Biblically backing up our beliefs

Postby ethan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:04 am

In Leviticus 18:19 it says
Also thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her nakedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleannes.

and I was wondering what this verse means.
ethan
Resident

Re: Biblically backing up our beliefs

Postby ethan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:06 am

Is this talking about harlots?
ethan
Resident

Postby root » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:29 am

My understanding of that verse is that the Hebrew word/phrase that is translated as 'uncover her nakedness' is actually closer to 'reveal her sexuality'. Somewhere on here there is a more in depth analysis of this and related verses...
root
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:39 am

Hi Eathan,

Great question.

"Uncover their nakedness" is an idiom for having sex... Pure and simple.

In this case, the verse you are asking about reads

19 " 'Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her
monthly period.

in the New International Version (and others). I did a survey of all the translations out on Bible Gateway and, if I remember right, found it was nearly a 50/50 split depending on the age of the version.

There are discussions here and on Figleaf Forum's scripture project section as well (you may need to sign up but it is free and the newsletters are worth it).
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:56 am

For a discussion of the various Hebrew words for "naked," see Christian Naturism by Boyd Allen. (Note: Yahoo has said they'll close Geocities sometime this year, so you'd better check fast. I suspect Boyd is planning to move or reconstruct his site somewhere else, but I haven't heard any details.)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:20 am

ethan wrote:In Leviticus 18:19 it says
Also thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her nakedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleannes.

and I was wondering what this verse means.

This verse is saying "Do not have sexual relations with a woman during her monthly period." A woman was considered to be "cermonially" unclean during her period and would have to go through ceremonial cleansing afterward in order to be considered clean enough to go into the Tabernacle or Temple.

Many consider this verse and other pertaining to "cermonial" uncleaness to have been fulfilled through Jesus death on the cross in which He makes all things clean, symbolized by our baptism.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby bn2bnude » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:11 pm

bn2bnude wrote:Hi Eathan,

Great question.

"Uncover their nakedness" is an idiom for having sex... Pure and simple.

In this case, the verse you are asking about reads

19 " 'Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her
monthly period.

in the New International Version (and others). I did a survey of all the translations out on Bible Gateway and, if I remember right, found it was nearly a 50/50 split depending on the age of the version.

There are discussions here and on Figleaf Forum's scripture project section as well (you may need to sign up but it is free and the newsletters are worth it).

I just realized, as I read the rest of the thread, there is a discussion of this chapter in Jeff Rockel's work " The Bible, Society & Nudity " ( Chapter 3 ).
Last edited by bn2bnude on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby dby » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:54 pm

It is interesting to note that "ceremonial uncleanness" (Tamei) is the natural order of things and that you have to do many special things in order to achieve the state of being "clean" (Tahor).

When a child is born, the mother (and everything she touches) becomes "unclean". If the child is male then the length of time before she can become clean/Tahor is cut in half. The shedding of the blood of the son (circumcision) appears to bring her to the state of being clean faster. (An interesting spiritual picture obviously - the Blood of the Son brings us to a way in which we can be spiritually clean.)

As the child matures and starts having emissions (of either the male or female variety) - this again puts them in the state of Tamei/uncleanness every time it happens. When they get married and have sexual relations with their spouse, this again puts them in the state of Tamei/uncleanness each time. Finally they die, and their corpse renders everyone and everything in the house (other than what is in sealed containers) to be Tamei/unclean.

From the beginning to the end of life we are the primary cause of uncleanness. In fact, even within the Orthodox Jewish community, everyone is still in that state of Tamei/uncleanness because there are no ashes of the red heifer to overcome corpse uncleanness. (This is covered in the first chapter of today's Torah reading - Numbers 19). Corpse uncleanness entered in because of the sin of the first Adam which brought death into the world. Corpse uncleanness is overcome by the Resurrection of the Last Adam (Messiah). Out of the fallen Adam (all mankind) Messiah is forming the Echad Chadashah Adam (the One New Man) - a renewal of the original unfallen Adam.

But to answer the original question - yes, the command is to not have intimate relations with a woman during the time of her monthy blood flow until the days of her seperation (a higher level of holiness during which time her husband cannot come near) are complete. She goes through an immersion in water (Christians call this baptism) and she can again be intimate with her husband.

So, each month the wife is set aside for a time. Then, when this is over, she becomes "born again" (arising from the water) and returns to her husband to celebrate the honeymoon again. It is as though the wedding night is celebrated each month. Traditionally the husband takes her out for a nice meal, gives her gifts, etc.

Obviously I'm speaking from the Jewish way of looking at this. The Christian community tends to look upon the woman in a negative fashion, they don't recognize the monthy cycle as being a higher level of holiness that the woman achieves at this time - instead they would think of her as being "under the curse". So they miss the entire lesson and the picture of the Born Again experience and the rehersal for the Marriage Supper of the Lamb that this all points to.
dby
Native Resident

Return to Teen Questions / Adult Advice