Quick Simple Hash

Got any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Quick Simple Hash

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:27 pm

By this time you may have noticed that to date I am only posting breakfast recipes and they all involve a griddle or frying pan. Well now that we are retired, my wife (who is not a breakfast person or early riser by nature) negotiated a new breakfast policy. Except on a rare occasion she does not eat breakfast at all, and the one exception to that rule is that when I make turkey bacon she is good for a couple of slices. She also regularly partakes of a cup of coffee with me at breakfast. So here is my quick and easy hash recipe.

Beef, preferably pre-cooked such as extra/leftover steak or roast (the dog is not pleased to have to yield to the appetite of the alpha male and forego scraps the night before) It is best if the beef is lean.

Potatoes, precooked or raw, preferably with well scrubbed skins still attached and eyes removed.

The beef vs potato ratio is variable depending on preference and availability.

Onion

Cooking oil

Frying pan with lid

Dice the potatoes to suit, (3/16 to 1/2 cubes)
Dice the meat to suit (3/16to 1/2 cubes)

Heat frying pan and bring oil to the point of smoking, as soon as the oil shows the least sign of smoking add the diced potatoes and meat and cover with a lid to hasten cooking and turn down to a medium heat. If either the potatoes or meat is pre-cooked that ingredient need not be subjected to the covered cooking phase, particularly the potatoes as they tend to fall apart.

Add pre-cooked potato or beef, (if any), and continue cooking until thoroughly heated.

Dice onion to suit (For a single serving I reccomend a couple of 1/8 inch slices off of a 2 to 3 inch onion).
Remove the cover from the pan and add this onion to the pan. The lid will no longer be needed
Stir the hash with a spatula to free any pieces stuck to the bottom and stir occasionally over medium heat for the next 2 to 5 minutes until the onion starts to turn transparent.

Other ingredients particularly herbs and spices may be added during the cooking to suit (e.g. dried diced tomatoes, parsley flakes, garlic powder, bacon bits, etc.).

Serve with ketchup.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Quick Simple Hash

Postby jochanaan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:10 am

I like hash browns for breakfast, and sometimes I add onion as you describe. Leftover beef sounds like a nice addition. And if I don't get enough from one helping, I'll do a rehash. :)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to Recipes