Armstrong

Here you can discuss differences in belief between different denominations, or other religions and Christianity. This is an informational forum. Always be courteous and polite, and respect other people's views and values.<P>Permanent Residents may only reply to posts here; Native Residents may initiate & reply to posts here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Armstrong

Postby Petros » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:56 pm

Anybody up to speed on the Worldwide Church of God? I had heard of them, but not much - recently ran across a reference elsewhere.

Saw one claim they are a nasty heretical unscriptural cult - but you can get that about Presbyterians, Assembly of God - find me a group that NOBODY labels ungodly.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: Armstrong

Postby dby » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Herbert W Armstrong died several years ago (15+ years?) and the concerns about them have been done away with. They are fairly mainstream these days. The Philadelphia CoG (and a couple of others) is the group that split off because they didn't like the changes that were being made.

Many of the old line WWCoG people moved over to Messianic "Hebrew Roots" congregations. The old line WWCoG kept the Feasts of the Lord (though on a modified calendar), so the move to Messianic Fellowships was fairly easy for them. The revised WWCoG moved too far the other direction (in my biased opinion) and stopped celebrating the Feasts of the Lord and in their place picked up the Catholic celebrations of Eashtar and Christmas, etc.

But, by and large, I think you will find that WWCoG of today is not considered heretical or unscriptural. Nasty? I don't recall anyone ever making that claim. I don't recall there ever being any claims of them being sociologically cultic. (Like the Moonies were).

The person within the Naturist Movement to talk to would be Boyd. He and his wife have been members for many decades and and seen all of these changes.
dby
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:46 pm

The original WWCoG was a non-trinitarian, end-times centered group that by many counts was heritical and cultish.

By one account I heard, a couple of years after Armstrong's death, some of the church leaders were reading some material from Baxter Kruger and realized they were wrong on several doctrines. The leadership then met with several evangelical leaders to better structure their doctrines.

Since the early 90's or late 80's, the church has fragmented into groups that follow the Armstrong doctrines and groups that are pretty mainstream. The mainstream group is now called "Grace Communion International".

From what I know of GCI, I have no real issues with them, although I don't always agree. I do have problems, however, with some of the groups that still follow Armstrong's teaching.

Because of the history, I am always a little cautious until I know the person I am interacting with but I have friends that I know are Christ followers who are GCI.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:16 am

Thanks, that helps - jibes with my memory of what I had heard elsewhere. There are elements [not naming names] who see just about everybody who wears the wrong kind of tie as at the level of Jim Jones. Good thing they don't know about me.

I can tolerate a lot of difference if we are at one on who Christ is - but the feeling is not always reciprocated.

In this case, I got an enthusiastic endorsement of one of their prominent people from a Catholic and very with it guy I know from another forum, then did a search and found the Righteous Brothers [not the ensemble, just a description] panning them. Par for the course.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Christianity and other religions