Rice Patties for Breakfast

Got any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Rice Patties for Breakfast

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Ok, my measurements are going to be rough as this is intended for a good way to make a breakfast out of leftover rice. and you are free to vary the ingredients to vary the outcome. So far I have not been able to screw up the outcome beyond the realm of an enjoyable breakfast. Amounts shown make enough for about 2 to 4 persons depending on how big a breakfast they eat.

In a bowl mix:
3 beaten eggs
about 2 cups of left over cooked rice
about 2 cubic inches of grated cheese (e.g. cheddar, colby, cojack etc) (more if you really like cheese)
two slices off a large onion diced fine
a clove of garlic minced fine if yoiu like it (optional)
A big shot of catsup (ok 2 or 3 ounces, more if you like it a lot)
finly chopped dried tomatoes (optional)
a dash of salt
a big dash of onion powder
a big dash of garlic powder.

oil a griddle (lightly if non-stick, more if not non-stick and frying pan is an option but the recipe take a bit of space)
place on a hot griddle (325 - 350 F)
use enough of the stuff to make patties about 3/8 inch thick and about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter

turn as soon as they will hold together fairly well, if they break push them back togeather they will stick back together.
fry until they are done to suit your taste and skill, When they can be turned easily without breaking they are at least done enough but can be cooked until mostly almost black and they are still fine.

Makes about 15-18 patties

Extras can be left out on a covered plate for snacking, but refirgeration is recommended if there are any left by nightfall.
If there are any left after 2 days, either you don't snack much or you don't like them, but don worry the dog will ! :wink:
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Rice Patties for Breakfast

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:39 am

Sounds almost like egg foo young.
To the rice and eggs, I add water chestnuts, bean sprouts and diced green onions (but no cheese).
To vary the recipe use bits of shrimp or crab meat as well.
Add soy sauce after they have cooked.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Re: Rice Patties for Breakfast

Postby billm007 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:35 am

This sounds great for breakfast, but I'd add a little leftover diced ham or bacon bits for flavor. Great "breakfast" to also serve for lunch or dinner!
billm007
Resident

Return to Recipes