Different Christian perspectives

Are there any other issues that bother you about nudism / naturism not covered above? How can it be Christian? Other? Any question is acceptable, just keep the conversation courteous and respectful.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Different Christian perspectives

Postby KalosSoma » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:16 pm

I think I'm past this issue as a "struggle" for myself, but I got to thinking about it and wondered if it would resonate with others. We have occasionally participated in a Christian marriage/sex forum (I don't think I should name it, but some of you may be familiar with it, or even be participants) that seems to come from pretty much the same theological perspective (evangelical/conservative-leaning) and has the same kind of mix that CNV does.

Though there has been some debate, the consensus on that forum seems to be very opposed to any form of social nudity, and does seem to equate nudity very strongly with sexual temptation -- which is obviously far from the CNV consensus.

I have always considered the marriage forum a very reliable and Godly source of direction on the issues it covers, but it's interesting that there's such a divergence in views of nudity in these two groups of Christians who in all other respects seem to be very much the same in their theology, worldview and perspective on marriage and family.

What do you think - especially those who have run into this divergence in the forum noted above, or other Christian discussion groups?
KalosSoma
Native Resident

Re: Different Christian perspectives

Postby natman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:28 pm

I do not know of which forum you are speaking, however, I am not surprised by what you say is their stance on social nudity, since the "nudity=sex" mantra has been so well embedded into much of the church for the last 150 years or so.

The fact is that while their focus may be on "Christian" sex (hopefully exclusively within marriage), for which I am sure they may be Biblically well versed, when it comes to simple, practical nudity, they have not taken the time to study that area, what the Bible says and particularly does not say about it or how society truely reacts when chaste nudity is presented in the way God would have it.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby KalosSoma » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Well, one of the things CNV seems to do so well is to provide accurate Biblical "ammunition" for these kinds of discussions. No longer than I've been involved here, I think I would already be more confident in discussing and defending naturism in a forum like the one I described. Is there such a thing as "naturist apologetics?" :D
KalosSoma
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Actually, there is. I'll see if I can assemble some links that may help you further.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:05 pm

KalosSoma wrote:...Is there such a thing as "naturist apologetics?" :D
Fig Leaf Forum

There is also a document that has been reprinted in many online locations, called "205 Arguments in Support of Naturism."
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 pm

I suspect that I do know the place you are talking about and, from what I see, they do seem to be fairly biblically balanced. The exception seems to be this one issue which seems to be written by one man who changed his mind after being minimally involved. I don't know what kind of demons he was fighting when he wrote the original article. I don't believe that social nudity is for everybody, maybe he is one of those.

For the record, Fig Leaf Forum posted a rebuttal. You may need to sign up for the site to get to the page, however.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby KalosSoma » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:35 am

I didn't bring this up to criticize a particular group -- as a relatively new naturist, and an amateur theologian (aren't we all? :wink:), I just thought it was really interesting how two groups that were so similar in basic beliefs, and that in fact might overlap somewhat in their membership, could be so different on the issue of social nudity. As I said, in the places I've seen the "anti" view expressed, there was a pretty broad consensus and the few who tried to defend social nudity had a hard way to go.
KalosSoma
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 pm

KalosSoma wrote:I didn't bring this up to criticize a particular group

And, like you, I am not trying to criticize them either. There is a blogger I follow who's marriage was in shambles because of refusing sex. Through this site and others, she and her husband are quite active sexually.

Personally, I have a hard time being black and white on most issues. A group can hold some what I would consider off base views and still not be a bad group. Too often we are way to black and white. Look at our churches and denominations that can't set aside their theological differences.

I was listening to a message on 1 John 4 today and realized how much we do this when you read the first couple of verses and see who is and isn't called a christian.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:00 pm

KalosSoma wrote:I didn't bring this up to criticize a particular group -- as a relatively new naturist, and an amateur theologian (aren't we all? :wink:), I just thought it was really interesting how two groups that were so similar in basic beliefs, and that in fact might overlap somewhat in their membership, could be so different on the issue of social nudity...
Different experiences, different levels of conditioning. And because simple nudity is so controversial, many take refuge in "old-time religion" thinking, perhaps saying to themselves, "Well, millions of Spirit-filled Christians can't be wrong, can they?" Sadly, in the mind-war between conditioning and searching for truth by experience, conditioning wins far too often. :(
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby JimShedd112 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:26 pm

I think Natman said it correctly when he cited the dogma of many churches. First of all, far too many interpret what the read or hear the way they want to believe, whatever the basis. Most people who call themselves christians, and I'm not, have not taken the time to truly study the Bible and its teachings. They have a preconceived notion they bend the words they do read or hear to fit those preconceptions.

I truly enjoy reading the discussions here because there is a real effort to understand the truth you find in the Bible. One of those truths which even for me, until I discovered CNV and similar Christian sites, including Fig Leaf Forum and Christian Naturists, seemed perverse is wholesome nudity is acceptable and appropriate and that nudity does not necessarily mean sex.

Jim
Livin' naked and free
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Return to Struggling with nudism / naturism