This may be a dumb question, but...

Are you new to this way of life? Does terminology confuse you? Have you heard lots of horror stories that frighten you? This is the place to ask questions about terminology, meanings of words, and more.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

This may be a dumb question, but...

Postby KalosSoma » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:03 pm

As a new naturist who has not yet experienced its social aspect, I have been curious about the level of anonymity customary at naturist venues. Some of what I've read suggests that it's common to know others by first names only, but it's not clear if that's the norm.

Of course, I expect that as you get to know and trust certain people, you reveal more about yourself to them, but I just wonder if most "acquaintance" relationships remain on the first-name-only basis (if that's indeed customary).

Related question, maybe just as dumb: How much information is one generally required to provide to enter/attend/become a member of a "landed" naturist club/camp/resort? And how secure is that information -- e.g. is it ever used to generate mailing lists and the like, and how many people generally have access to it? From what I read, it seems to be customary to provide a driver's license upon entry, and I assume operators of the venue do some kind of basic background check, at least of sex-offender registries. But other than that, I was just wondering, in general, how much info is shared, and how, and with whom. Thanks for any insights you can share.
KalosSoma
Native Resident

Re: This may be a dumb question, but...

Postby scurtis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:51 pm

As I have never been to a resort, I can't answer. Perhaps whoever answers could include AANR and any other organisations in the answer. Do they ever prinit new or existing members names in the newsletter? Do they ever sell or give out members
names, addresses or other info? Do they have a written confidentuality policy?
Sam (the 2nd one)

God must have a sense of humor, He made me.
scurtis
Councillor

Postby Larryk1052 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:52 pm

I've been to a couple of resorts and in both cases first names are very common and as I got to know some I did share my last name, business name and the city I live in. The way I look at it the people who go to nudists resorts understand the need for privacy.
Larry in Kentucky

"Nude" just means barefoot all over.
Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 pm

I've not attended a resort either but did attend the same social event (Party Naked/Anna's Tiki Bar ) at a private residence her in Las Vegas. Everyone on the first visit was very friendly and accepting of me. However, they only introduced themselves or others by first name one. I was the only one to introduce myself by first and last name. We did share a bit of background such as where I work and what some them had done in the past. So, I guess at least until they truly know you and feel comfortable private information is held close to the chest. The major thing was the ready aceptance of a "new kid on the block".
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:18 pm

My experience has been rather the opposite. In the naturist venues I've visited, including hot springs and the local Denver group, we're free to share any amount of information we choose. Our younger visitors, in particular, aren't shy about sharing who they are and what they do. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby KalosSoma » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:28 pm

jochanaan wrote:Our younger visitors, in particular, aren't shy about sharing who they are and what they do. 8)

That is very cool, indeed! Maybe they'll blaze a long-overdue trail of acceptance for naturism!
KalosSoma
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Wouldn't blazing a "long-overdue trail for naturism" be great? During my visits it just seemed folks were cautious about sharing too much information, perhaps because i was "the new kid on the block." otherwise, they were extremely friendly. And, of course, those who'd shaed time together before were very friendly with each other, sharing stories about their families, commenting on changes in appearance (freshly shaved versus trimmed pubes, etc).

To add one more off-topic thing. I spke to my 78 year old mother today who told me she was shocked to learn I'm a nudist but accepts it without judgment. It felt good to hear. I'm old enough, as she said, to make my own decisions but it's good to have family support too.

Jim
Livin' naked and free
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:24 am

luxorsecurity wrote:I spke to my 78 year old mother today who told me she was shocked to learn I'm a nudist but accepts it without judgment. It felt good to hear. I'm old enough, as she said, to make my own decisions but it's good to have family support too.

That's GREAT Jim.

So, how did you broach the subject with her?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby JimShedd112 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:26 am

My wife actually told her during our vacation with her on the morning we were to leave. My mother, as it turns out, thought she was just joking and never took it seriously. And, since i'd been thinking of telling her anyway I wrote her a letter after arriving home nd laid it all out there. Then, I had the opportunity to talk to her on the telephone the same day she received the letter (Wednesday) and brought up the subject then. She said she'd write back. But, again, yesterday she called me on an unrelated issue and we discussed my decision to live as a nudist when I asked her for her reaction.

It's hard to talk to her on the telephone since she doesn't hear too well but we were able to discuss it briefly.

Now, I just need to be open with my neighbors about the fact I'm a nudist and not skirt the issue if it comes up in conversation.

Jim
Livin' naked and free
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:00 am

luxorsecurity wrote:My wife actually told her during our vacation with her on the morning we were to leave.

That is interesting because, while not wanting to be involved in "social" nudity, my wife is usually the one who "boasts" to our neighbors, family and friends that we enjoy our "Naked Time" in and around the house.

Leave it to our wives to break the ice for us. Thank God for them. :D
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:26 am

The difference, Natman, is your wife's a nudist while mine is not. But, yes I am very thankful for her in every way. She has been the best part of my life for 40 years now.

Jim
Livin' naked and free
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Djadja » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:41 pm

And I thought I was the only one whose wife talked more about being a nudist than actually practiced it. She even told attendants at the hospital when she was there last. Yet rarely can I get her to be nude around the home—and I never cajole her. When I do see her nude, I tell her she's in my favorite outfit. It always brings a smile, but she's still self-conscious about her weight.
Djadja
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:14 pm

At least your's will go nude sometimes Djada. Mine only does so, usually, to go from the laundry room to the bath or when wanting to get intimate then it's straight to bed. She never stays undressed for very long.

I like your words about seeing her in your favorite outfit. I'm going to have to use it with my wife, if you don't mind. :D :D

Jim
Livin' naked and free
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:25 am

Djadja wrote:When I do see her nude, I tell her she's in my favorite outfit.

We joke around with each other, saying that we have our "matching" suits on. :lol:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Return to What is nudism / naturism?