Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?

What family issues do you wish to discuss here? Parenting, coupling, stages of life, discussing naturism with reluctant family members, growing in Christ as a family? Anything else?<P>Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?

Postby natman » Fri May 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?
http://www.everydayfamily.com/naked-tim ... s-love-it/

Author: Melanie Denney

Like it, or don‘t. Call it what you want: nudie, birthday suit, bare, un-clothed, in the buff… however you say it, it’s factual- we were all born naked! So naturally, it makes sense why our little ones prefer to run around sans clothing. If you’re a parent of naked-loving children, and kind of want to know why in the world they dislike clothes so much, Mental Health professor for the University of Massachusetts, Sharon Lamb, answered this question in a New York Times article. She says “For some kids, getting dressed gets associated with something they don’t want to do, like eating their veggies.” She goes on to explain that kids will find that running around naked is just more comfortable than clothes. Usually, by the time children reach three and four years of age, they figure out the difference between public and private and start to develop a sense of modesty, according to their situations.

A nice thing to know is that at two to four years of age, kids don’t care what they look like – they have no shame in being naked. Then, when they reach about five or six years of age, they start to feel shame (the good kind of shame that keeps one from being in awkward situations). So maybe, if a five or six year old is still running around naked, it’s because he or she is trying to gain a little control over something, or just simply unsure of when and where, or who, it’s appropriate to be naked in front of. Perhaps, it’s just because they think it’s hilarious.

For a lot of kids, it’s just natural to want to be naked; so why should we put a stop to something as innocent and natural as wanting a little naked time?

Open forums discussing naked time for children are full of opinions. Some people believe that there are benefits to being naked. Some of them are funny, others are serious. Here are a few opinions:

It’s been said that potty training goes easier for a naked child.
Maybe even negative body image issues could be avoided if the stigma of being naked is diminished by allowing it, instead of making it seem wrong.
It opens up opportunities to teach your child about their body parts.
Prevents embarrassment when the child gets old enough to have curious questions concerning his/her body.
It prevents diaper rash.
Less laundry.
Some allow it just for the sheer pleasure of annoying the in-laws.

And of course, along with the ones who believe, there are the ones that don’t. Here are some opinions with reservations:

Pedophiles were the number one worry. Lots of parents have worries that someone with a pedophilic mind may see their child.
Too much exposure to the sun’s skin-damaging rays.
Nudity makes some people very uncomfortable.
Some people believe that because society puts so much emphasis on sexualizing the human body, it is unhealthy to expose and to be exposed to nudity.
Most people believe that private parts should simply remain private.
But why are adults so divided when it comes down to accepting, or not accepting, a child’s love of being nude? What’s the big division over? Is it because of the culture we live in? Perhaps it’s our parent’s influence that has something to do with the way we view nudity. Maybe it’s something we experienced. There’s a time and a place for children to run naked. However we view it, we know that someone else views it differently, and all views should be respected.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7254
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?

Postby natman » Fri May 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Melanie Denney wrote:When they reach about five or six years of age, they start to feel shame (the good kind of shame that keeps one from being in awkward situations).


So where do they suddenly get this sensation of "shame"? It is not genetic because it is not universal. There are a lot of cultures where nudity is common and where children at five years old, or any age for that matter never experience shame of mere nudity.

I propose that they get it from their parents or from their peers who got it from their parents.

Melanie Denney wrote:It’s been said that potty training goes easier for a naked child.
Maybe even negative body image issues could be avoided if the stigma of being naked is diminished by allowing it, instead of making it seem wrong.
It opens up opportunities to teach your child about their body parts.
Prevents embarrassment when the child gets old enough to have curious questions concerning his/her body.
It prevents diaper rash.
Less laundry.
Some allow it just for the sheer pleasure of annoying the in-laws.


All good, positive reasons for allowing child-nudity and even practicing familial and even social nudity.

Melanie Denney wrote:Pedophiles were the number one worry. Lots of parents have worries that someone with a pedophilic mind may see their child.


Pedophiles disgust me. However, what harm is done if even a pedophile merely "sees" their child? We can never control the mind of others. Pedophiles do not need for a child to be nude to have inappropriate thoughts about them. What they NEED to know is that they are being watched REGARLESS of the state of dress of the child.

Melanie Denney wrote:Too much exposure to the sun’s skin-damaging rays.


And not ENOUGH sun exposure prevents Vitamin-D productions, which causes DEADLY cancers, diseases and maladies.

Melanie Denney wrote:Nudity makes some people very uncomfortable.


The need to learn to get over it.

Melanie Denney wrote:Some people believe that because society puts so much emphasis on sexualizing the human body, it is unhealthy to expose and to be exposed to nudity.


Actually, studies have shown that exposure to REAL nudity (not pornography) actually intills a healtier attitude about the human body.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7254
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?

Postby Ramblinman » Sat May 19, 2012 12:10 am

I can still recall being a kid and remember quite well how much I enjoyed being naked in the house or wearing only a loose pair of shorts around the neighborhood.

Even a child realizes that it is more comfortable to be nude in warm weather.
As Nathan said, before you develop shame about your body, it is undiluted fun for your body to be in complete contact with its environment. And great to be relieved of the binding and pinching fabrics, free from the heat-trapping wraps on a hot summer day in Georgia. (being mindful of hot metal sliding boards, pine cones and asphalt.
We adults could feel just as carefree if we had the heart of a child and we were in a safe setting.
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am
Location: United States

Re: Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:08 am

It is certainly a shame innocence is stolen from hildren and they're made to feel shame and discomfort about their nude bodies. Moreover, Ramblinman, you're exactly right when you say "We adults could feel just as carefree if we had the heart of a childand we were in a safe setting."

Natman, your point are well taken, particularly regarding the fears of parents being viewed by pedophiles. It matters not to a pedophile whether a child is clothed or nude, he/she will have sexual fantasies about the child regardless. Children need to be safeguarded from such people and allowed to maintain their innocence until they reach an appropiate age to begin to understand their emotions.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
User avatar
JimShedd112
Native Resident
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat May 19, 2012 3:05 pm

True, pedophiles will be attracted to children whether they're clothed or not; pedophiles will still be attracted to them. In fact, there are far more sexual acts against children done in textile areas than in nudist venues. Sin has corrupted the minds of some people to the point that they can sexually molest children and believe it to be right and normal--often claiming that the child was too sexually appealing to resist, and that the child wanted it. It's always easy to justify in one's own mind whatever we want to do--no matter how sinful and perverted it is. There is NOTHING right or normal about it. In my opinion, people who prey upon children should be executed. We don't need them around our children.

As for childhood nudity, I LOVED my nude times as a child. I slept nude and ran around outside nude whenever I could--day and night. When I was alone or with just a brother, I was nude. Then we are taught that nudity isn't right or normal, but there is nothing as normal or natural as being nude--as long as it's warm enough.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
User avatar
Jon-Marc
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:05 pm
Location: Jacumba, CA

Re: Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?

Postby wearingair » Sat May 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Here is a interesting read:

In Nudism Children Mark the Boundary Line

http://bareplatypus.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -line.html

wearingair
wearingair
Native Resident
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?

Postby Petros » Sat May 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Now this is most intriguing. I suspect [and I have some devidence to back it] that this kid would have loved naked time. But There was no such thing. I am out of the forties - and in my family you were naked in the bathtub and that was it. I suspect rarely if ever were we fully nude even for a monent when getting into or out of pajamas.


Herself is if the 50s, and I gather her family was the same. She has problems with nudity in nearly all cases. Largely for that reason, I suspect, Number One Son had no naked times. Ditto apparently [to the extent I know] for all the various nieces and nephews - EXCEPT the offspring of one of her brothers, whose wife had no nakedness hangups. All of his had extended strip and tun naked stages.



So a question is - those of us who DID have childhood naked time, what generation are you and what stylr parents had you?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
User avatar
Petros
Native Resident
 
Posts: 5249
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?

Postby natman » Mon May 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Petros wrote:So a question is - those of us who DID have childhood naked time, what generation are you and what stylr parents had you?


I do not remember much as a very young child apart from when we lived in Hawaii and went to the beach with my parent's Hawaian friends who' kids and I were allowed to play nude on the beach because diapers became more like boat anchors.

I remember bathing with my younger sister until I was around seven. Then the even younger siblings came into the fray and it became my job to help mom prep them for here to bathe them and then dry them and get them ready for bed. Sometimes we would let them run around the house naked for for a while before "nabbing" them to put their pajamas on.

I started sleeping nude at around 11. I remember my mom coming in ever night to tuck me in. She would fluff the sheets and blankets and had to have seen me nude, but never said anything about it.

We weren't a "nudist" family, but nudity was fairly common and nothing to be shocked about.

I am currently 58.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7254
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Naked Time! Why Do Kids Love It?

Postby Jon-Marc » Fri May 25, 2012 2:05 am

I was born in 1946, and nudity in my family was not the norm. I did discover at an early age how much I loved being nude--indoors and out. I slept nude from early childhood--mainly because my cheapskate of a dad didn't buy me PJ's or underwear. He said I didn't need underwear until I reached puberty, but he had no idea the embarrassment I suffered in elementary school during gym class when I had to undress to put on gym shorts; I was the only one without underwear. The thing is that no one ever said anything about it, so why was I so embarrassed about it?

He bought me my first underwear at age 13 for my birthday. However, by that time the "damage" was done; I HATED (and still do) wearing underwear and only wore them to school and took them off as soon as I got home. I only wear them now when I wear thin dress pants.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
User avatar
Jon-Marc
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:05 pm
Location: Jacumba, CA


Return to Family issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests