Contrasting views of the Gospel

Here you can discuss differences in belief between different denominations, or other religions and Christianity. This is an informational forum. Always be courteous and polite, and respect other people's views and values.<P>Permanent Residents may only reply to posts here; Native Residents may initiate & reply to posts here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Contrasting views of the Gospel

Postby bn2bnude » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:34 am

So, to get us back on track....

From the original source of the video (to me), the issue is:

In the Bible, John 3:16 reads:
John 3:16 (NIV) wrote:For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life

The way the typical protestant presentation of the Gospel goes is:

For God was so angry at the world that he sent his Son to punish Him so that whoever repents and says the Sinners prayer can go to heaven instead of hell when they die.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:05 pm

bn2bnude wrote:The way the typical protestant presentation of the Gospel goes is:

For God was so angry at the world that he sent his Son to punish Him so that whoever repents and says the Sinners prayer can go to heaven instead of hell when they die.
Hmmm, I never thought that was what the typical protestant was saying, but then, I am not a typical protestant, so I will have to leave it for typical protestants to protest this characterization. :wink: :wink: :wink:
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:29 am

Bare_Truth wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:The way the typical protestant presentation of the Gospel goes is:

Hmmm, I never thought that was what the typical protestant was saying, but then, I am not a typical protestant, so I will have to leave it for typical protestants to protest this characterization. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Some form of Calvinism seems to be held by the larger body of Protestantism (with the exception of several groups that are more followers of wesley). This includes many of the Baptist, reformed, etc.

The traditions I have been a part of, the story of what happened on the cross went something like:
After you die, you are brought up on charges of your sin before God as a judge. As God is about to pronounce the sentence, Jesus stands up and says "But I've already paid the penalty for the person" at which point God dismisses your case

The theological explanation is " Penal Substitutionary Atonement ". Calvin or his followers either fully developed the idea or adopted it. It's based upon the atonement theories of Anselm, a catholic monk from the 1000's. There were, however, 1000 years of other theories including the ransom theory. Because the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches split just prior to Anselm, those views of the atonement were not adopted.

I use the word theory because there s no specific scripture which says how Christ worked on the Cross.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby jimmy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:47 am

I am and have been a Protestant for over 70 years and John 3:16 has ALWAYS been interpreted and presented as "God so loved the workd ...." I have made a study of many Protestand thelogoies (both Weslly and Calvin) and all but a very few present John 3:16 the same way.

Jimmy
jimmy
Councillor

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:59 pm

jimmy wrote:I am and have been a Protestant for over 70 years and John 3:16 has ALWAYS been interpreted and presented as "God so loved the workd ...." I have made a study of many Protestand thelogoies (both Weslly and Calvin) and all but a very few present John 3:16 the same way.

Jimmy

Jimmy, my experience has been the same: lifelong Protestant with grace-focused churches.
We have been told about the consequences of sin, including Hell, but, following Jesus' example, that was never the primary focus.

There are negative churches, but that is not the norm. There is legalism and prudishness to be routed out, but let's not overstate the problem.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Christianity and other religions