Who We Are - Religious Background

New members are invited to introduce themselves here. It doesn't have to be long, and you don't have to reveal any personal information you're not comfortable with sharing. We don't allow any web links or email addresses here. Please reserve your naturist comments for Are You a Naturist? You must post here before gaining access to the Full Member category. All New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

What is your religious background?

Roman Catholic/Orthodox Catholic
8%
Methodist
7%
Lutheran
3%
Presbyterian
5%
Episcopal/Church of England
3%
Baptist
26%
Pentecostal
9%
Non-denominational Christian/Other
34%
Latter Day Saints
1%
Non-Christian
3%

Total votes : 121

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby john.mowgli » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:11 am

Um I go to an evangelical church
which i guess is related to baptist.
Not sure how british evangelicalism
relates to american evangelicalism etc.
john.mowgli
New Comer

Postby jochanaan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:04 pm

john.mowgli wrote:...Not sure how british evangelicalism
As I recall, European evangelicalism is much less sectarian than the American variety. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:51 pm

jochanaan wrote:
john.mowgli wrote:...Not sure how british evangelicalism
As I recall, European evangelicalism is much less sectarian than the American variety. 8)

What do you mean by less sectarian?

Evangelical churches mean different things in different places.
In Switzerland it is even more independent than elsewhere.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Ramblinman wrote:
jochanaan wrote:As I recall, European evangelicalism is much less sectarian than the American variety. 8)

What do you mean by less sectarian?

Less divided among themselves.
Ramblinman wrote:Evangelical churches mean different things in different places.
In Switzerland it is even more independent than elsewhere.

More independent, but more intra-connected. When I visited Switzerland with my college choir (Mid-America Nazarene University), we were told that there were mostly two churches, the "State Church," a very mainline organization probably founded by Calvin and/or Zwingli, and the Evangelical Free churches, who were much more independent than the State Churches yet more willing to work, pray and praise with each other and with other churches, denominations and groups outside Switzerland.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby heyitschris » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:41 pm

christian.
born and raised that way.
heyitschris
Resident

Postby wannabnude » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Baptist now. Grew up in a Methodist church, but didn't become a Christian until college (later than most, I realize). We've been in presbyterian denomination for many years, and recently have preferred baptistic/non-denominational contemporary services.
"God does not COMMAND us to be clothed. He ALLOWS us to be clothed." R.C. Sproul
wannabnude
Native Resident

Postby natman » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 am

wannabnude wrote:Baptist now. Grew up in a Methodist church, but didn't become a Christian until college (later than most, I realize). We've been in presbyterian denomination for many years, and recently have preferred baptistic/non-denominational contemporary services.

Other than infant baptism, I find that there is little difference theologically between Baptists and Presbyterians (PCA). However, some Presbyterian churches tend to be more "high-church" in their presentation, very similar to Roman Catholic mass, whereas most Baptist churches tend to be more contemporary, with a looser liturgy.

We are Southern Baptisis, but my favorite pastor/preacher/teacher is R.C.Sproul, a Presbyterian.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby wannabnude » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:00 pm

The differences within some denominations happen also with their administrative structure. I know one person who said they're a "small p" presbyterian, basically because he favors the sort-of representational government structure set up through congregationally-elected elders. Other denominations handle local congregational things in different ways, all with pluses and minuses.
"God does not COMMAND us to be clothed. He ALLOWS us to be clothed." R.C. Sproul
wannabnude
Native Resident

Postby MtnDewNudist » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Looks as if I'm the lone LDS here, I hope you Baptists won't hold that against me. :wink:
MtnDewNudist
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:13 pm

MtnDewNudist wrote:Looks as if I'm the lone LDS here, I hope you Baptists won't hold that against me. :wink:

Hold WHAT against you??? A knife, a sword, a dead chicken or perhaps a wet noodle?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:26 pm

natman wrote:Hold WHAT against you??? A knife, a sword, a dead chicken or perhaps a wet noodle?

Lets see now,
-- one cutting instrument of your choice,
-- one slaughtered chicken
-- add noodles with sufficient water.
Now if you just simmer that for a while it sounds like chicken soup :lol: :P :wink: :roll: :happyrazz:
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby MtnDewNudist » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 am

Bare_Truth wrote:
natman wrote:Hold WHAT against you??? A knife, a sword, a dead chicken or perhaps a wet noodle?

Lets see now,
-- one cutting instrument of your choice,
-- one slaughtered chicken
-- add noodles with sufficient water.
Now if you just simmer that for a while it sounds like chicken soup :lol: :P :wink: :roll: :happyrazz:

Cool, I'm up for some homemade chicken soup. :biggrin:
MtnDewNudist
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:29 pm

MtnDewNudist wrote:Looks as if I'm the lone LDS here, I hope you Baptists won't hold that against me. :wink:

Jesus called Samaritans to repentance as well as Jews. It is not where you came from that matters, but whether you are open to the teachings of Jesus and follow him as a disciple from now on.

Make sure you know who Jesus is. Is he what Joseph Smith says or is he what the Bible says he is?
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby MtnDewNudist » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Ramblinman wrote:

Jesus called Samaritans to repentance as well as Jews. It is not where you came from that matters, but whether you are open to the teachings of Jesus and follow him as a disciple from now on.

Make sure you know who Jesus is. Is he what Joseph Smith says or is he what the Bible says he is?

I have yet to find any difference between what the Bible says of Jesus and what Joseph Smith says of Jesus. I don't pay much attention to what others say Joseph Smith said, but refer only to the actual writings or teachings of Joseph Smith.

I honestly believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer and only through Him can I return to God. Jesus is the son of the one and only true God. It is through His grace that I can be saved.
MtnDewNudist
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:23 pm

I know that some true believers in Jesus Christ, linger in the clutches of the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints, ignorant of its heresies and polytheism. To them we can only urge them to find a church where the Holy Bible is the only source of doctrine and the Holy Trinity the only God recognized as ruler of heaven and earth. Adam is not a god and none of us will ever be gods. Salvation lies not in our becoming gods ourselves, but in trusting the redeeming power of the one true God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
http://www.waltermartin.com/mormon.html#mormdoc
Ramblinman
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Please Introduce Yourself