Perversion of Soon Return of Christ doctrine

What does Christ teach about the issues of life? Make sure you back up your opinions with scripture, and always be courteous and polite in talking with others.<P>Only Permanent and Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Perversion of Soon Return of Christ doctrine

Postby natman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:17 am

prairieboy wrote:How can one love their neighbour and not do something about the neighbour's destructive tendencies?

I agree. However, I would be concerned about the "how" do we do something about their destructive tendencies. Do we FORCE people who are barely getting by and who are freezing not to start a wood, coal or oil fire to keep themselves warm? Do we bind their hands and throw them in prison if the do? Do we, a tiny but productive and well respected country, take on the financial burden of paying for the entire rest of the world to come up to our standards, leaving our children in enormous debt for generation after generation. Or do we educate them about the damage that they MAY be doing and then show them ways to get around the problem that are within their own budget and abilities?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:21 am

jasenj1 wrote:I'm too lazy to look up verses, but I'll throw this out there: The book of Revelation describes many environmental disasters - death of fish, destruction of trees, sun burning people. Perhaps global warming is anthropogenic and is part of the judgement Man brings on himself. Mankind will of course deny these disasters are judgements from God and instead blame CO2 emissions, deforestation, etc. Man will not realize that he is the instrument of his own judgement.

- Jasen.

It can if you read it that way. It doesn't the way I read it. That may be a different discussion.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:38 am

natman wrote:
prairieboy wrote:How can one love their neighbour and not do something about the neighbour's destructive tendencies?

I agree. However, I would be concerned about the "how" do we do something about their destructive tendencies. Do we FORCE people who are barely getting by and who are freezing not to start a wood, coal or oil fire to keep themselves warm? Do we bind their hands and throw them in prison if the do? Do we, a tiny but productive and well respected country, take on the financial burden of paying for the entire rest of the world to come up to our standards, leaving our children in enormous debt for generation after generation. Or do we educate them about the damage that they MAY be doing and then show them ways to get around the problem that are within their own budget and abilities?

And to what extent does one consider the Simpson / Sampson principle, that one with the best of intentions but an incomplete grasp of the situation [which latter describes ALL of us] may do more damage than one who - with the samer inadequate grasp - sets out to do harm?

History shows we need to be very careful what and how we "fix"
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby prairieboy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:35 pm

Petros wrote:
And to what extent does one consider the Simpson / Sampson principle, that one with the best of intentions but an incomplete grasp of the situation [which latter describes ALL of us] may do more damage than one who - with the samer inadequate grasp - sets out to do harm?

History shows we need to be very careful what and how we "fix"

1 Corinthians 2:15-16

King James Version (KJV)

15But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

I don't know how you choose to interpret that, but the fact remains that we have access to the wisdom of God. I don't believe that His grasp of the situation is incomplete. If my grasp of things is incomplete, why is that? In James we are promised wisdom if we ask for it, not doubting. Am I doubting, or am I not asking God what to do, not listening, or just unwilling to obey? These are questions that I ask myself regarding things in my life that need to be dealt with, but what do I do about them? I do know that at the right time the right answer will be revealed.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:33 am

True enough, nor do I fr a moment discount the voice of Isaiah 30:21 nor the way the blinkered view we have of events disguises God's irresistable plan.

Yet we have in scripture and in our own experiences quite enough examples of people who charged into action on their own plan figuring they understood God's mind.

I will be the first to confess that not every one of my actions and words are as prayd up as they could be, and often the collies [since some of us are being Scots] have to yap at my heels to head me back toward the fold.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Christianity and Ethics