Community

Members are invited to offer their thoughts on a portion of scripture or offer a meditation on some aspect of God and God's work in the world. Short sermons are also invited. Remember, this is a worship center; please keep your thoughts worshipful, and start a new thread for each new item.<P>Only Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Community

Postby bn2bnude » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:12 am

I ran across this quote on Gods Politics Blog. The site is a little controversial (and left leaning - that's the warning) but has some good tidbits and thoughts.

I read this and thought almost immediately of this forum and my church.

Community is first and foremost a gift of the Holy Spirit, not built upon mutual compatibility, shared affection, or common interests but upon having received the same divine breath, having been given a heart set aflame by the same divine fire, and having been embraced by the same divine love.

-Henri Nouwen
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Strandloper » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:49 pm

Amen to that, bn2bnude.
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

Re: Community

Postby LivingFree » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:57 pm

bn2bnude wrote:I ran across this quote on Gods Politics Blog. The site is a little controversial (and left leaning - that's the warning) but has some good tidbits and thoughts.

It's an excellent quote on community. I don't know how you measure "left leaning," but the blog lists quite a number of what I would call centrist Christians who have spoken prophetically to the Christian world for many years. Theirs is an Epistle of James type of mindset, which consistently tries to keep genuine fundamental faith in Jesus and ministry to the world in Jesus' name linked together. Those I know, have read, and heard, would say, like James, "You can't just go to church and sing and pray, without caring for the needs of the world." Come to think about it, how much like Jesus is that?

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
LivingFree

Postby bn2bnude » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:09 am

LivingFree wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:I ran across this quote on Gods Politics Blog. The site is a little controversial (and left leaning - that's the warning) but has some good tidbits and thoughts.

It's an excellent quote on community. I don't know how you measure "left leaning," but the blog lists quite a number of what I would call centrist Christians who have spoken prophetically to the Christian world for many years. Theirs is an Epistle of James type of mindset, which consistently tries to keep genuine fundamental faith in Jesus and ministry to the world in Jesus' name linked together. Those I know, have read, and heard, would say, like James, "You can't just go to church and sing and pray, without caring for the needs of the world." Come to think about it, how much like Jesus is that?

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The only reason I mentioned the lean of the website is that, while I find it a quite different view on politics and Christianity, there are many, especially in the US, who would not agree with their viewpoints.
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:59 pm

bn2bnude wrote:
LivingFree wrote:I don't know how you measure "left leaning,"...

The only reason I mentioned the lean of the website is that, while I find it a quite different view on politics and Christianity, there are many, especially in the US, who would not agree with their viewpoints.

And many who would. I found by glancing at the website that among the bloggers who plan to join it are Ron Sider, author of Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger and other books about Christianity and social justice, and Sister Helen Prejean, the Catholic anti-death penalty activist whose story was told in the movie Dead Man Walking.
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to Worship in Devotional Thoughts