In Praise of Spouse

What family issues do you wish to discuss here? Parenting, coupling, stages of life, discussing naturism with reluctant family members, growing in Christ as a family? Anything else?<P>Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

In Praise of Spouse

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:38 am

In the spirit of counting blessings, and taking time to consider good things that we come to take for granted, I though it would be good to reflect on what we admire about our spouse. To that end I would encourage people here to take the time and join me in such activities. And please feel free to make more than one post as particular thoughts come to mine and include one or multiple items in a post.

The inspiration for this came about recently when I observed my wife working on a quilt and the notion was reinforced as we photographed several recent quilts that had not been yet recorded, and further as I undertook to make up a gallery of images recording all her quilts to pass along to our children and grand children.

For example:
Wall_Hanging.JPG
Wall_Hanging.JPG (193.94 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

This is a decorative wall hanging made with the center section consisting of 2 inch squares and 2x4 inch rectangles to make the 30 x 48 inch center region and then the border is added. In the light blue around the center medalion you can just see the intricate hand stitched pattern that holds the face, batting and backing together.

Another example of this handicraft of her work is:
Double_Wedding_Ring.JPG
Double_Wedding_Ring.JPG (167.44 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

The design is a difficult one because of the curves and intersecting arcs of different materials. The inset at the upper left shows an enhanced image of the hand stitching pattern showing a flower with leaves that occurs inside every ring. And just below the inset is a quilt rack with several other quilts on it.

She makes these quilts and decorations mostly to give away and many have been wedding presents or baby quilts, or house warming gifts. She even surrepticiously took measurements of our friends water bed which was of atypical size to make them a special quilt that would fit it properly. Her gallery of quilts is up to some where around 30 now.

But arts and crafts are not her only virtue. I am blessed to have a proverbs 31:10-31 wife. Among her other talents are accounting. She does our income tax, as well or better than computer programs can. She even worked at a big name tax preparation service one year but would not go back because of the rip offs that that they pulled by talking people into instant refunds for assigning the payment to the office taking an excessive cut. She is an accomplished cook and pastry chef, to the point that I have had to ask her to make fancy desserts only once a week lest I utterly lose the battle of the bulge.

I will leave off citing her other great attributes for the moment, but you get the idea. Please feel free to brag on your spouse. I understand that the gender balance here is heavily male but I would also like to encourage wives to brag on their husbands. Think of it as provoking the rest of us guys to do better if you must. This is intended to be an uplifting exercise for all. Honor to whom honor is due and inspiration to good works.

Bare_Truth
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: In Praise of Spouse

Postby Petros » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:03 am

Herself was into quilting and in fact for years did machine quilting for some serious people, but she has pretty much moved on. Your spousal products look like designs she would not find uncongenial [she can be critical] The first actually looks much like one she did in one of the earlier years. Looks from the second as if that is handquilting. We have a HUGE quilt she hadquilted early on, before the machine - intricate - it took months to finish.

As foer what I value - where do I start? Let it suffice for now that until 1975 I did not know there was ANYBODY in the world I could have a real conversation with. That person, the one here presented as Julia, we both knew was not a real fit even when we were both in theory available. Then 11 years later I vowed I would NOT be entering into ANY relationship; Herself declared to God, If you want me to be married you are going to have to send somebody to my door. In 9 months we were married. Read up on the definition of helpmeet.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:14 am

Let me just say I have been married to the same great lady for 41 plus years now (wed January 6, 1973). I met her in Saigon, Viet Nam while stationed there in the Air Force and had to leave her and her son behind when I departed in June, 1972. It was a very anxious time until they finally joined me at my parents' home in December, 1972.

Thanks to my wonderful wife's abilities we are practically debt free and living comfortably in her retirement (I still work because I choose to). We raised to children - my adopted son and a daughter - and have five grandchildren. My wife worked hard, and still would if not serving as full-time babysitter for our youngest granddaughter while her mom works, to help provide for our family and to allow me to serve our country until I retired from the Air Force in 1994.

My wife has the self confidence to tackle most anything and to succeed when she sets her mind to it.

Let me end by saying I'm a very lucky man to have met and married her so we have been able to grow together.

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby prairieboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 am

JimShedd112 wrote:Let me end by saying I'm a very lucky man to have met and married her so we have been able to grow together.

Jim Shedd

And that is why you don't mind (too much) keeping your pants on most of the time.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 am

precisely.

And I have to say, while Herself is not keen on the sight, feel, or idea of nudity, she is at least herself into maximally loose / free clothing and down on fierce formal dress, unlike some who will specify the precise cut and even the style and color of shoon.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Family issues