Dare we kneel?

Here you can discuss differences in belief between different denominations, or other religions and Christianity. This is an informational forum. Always be courteous and polite, and respect other people's views and values.<P>Permanent Residents may only reply to posts here; Native Residents may initiate & reply to posts here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Dare we kneel?

Postby Petros » Sun May 25, 2014 9:12 am

Herself is slightly outraged, having encountered yesterday one of those find out what the children are doing and tell them not to Christians who maintain that anything that was ever done in the context of a nonChristian religion or a denomination other than narrowly defined Midwest Evangelicalism is of the devil, damnable and corrupting. Where is my Salem ancestor when he is needed?

Clap your hands? Demonic. Bow to the crucifix? Damnable. Contemplative prayer? Devilish. Acupuncture session? Hellish. Herbal medicine? Smell the sulphur. Hand candy to kids at Halloween? Satanic.

Leave us face it:
There are practices - some Eastern, some Western - that may open one up to the wrong kind o spirit. There are practices - some Eastern, some Western - that foster a magical mindset. But it is not so simple as they think. They would be perturbed by a lot of the practices of the Book of Acts church, could they but see them.

Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

And not by rote "discernment"
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: Dare we kneel?

Postby bn2bnude » Sun May 25, 2014 9:39 am

It's much easier to fall into "sin management", in other words, just figure out what to do and what not to do to be "Christian" than it is to let God take control of our lives.

As you noted, there are practices that are harmful, either physically or spiritually, that should be avoided. On the other hand, it's really easy to make sweeping statements that don't do anyone any good.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun May 25, 2014 1:51 pm

Unless we define "good" as pinning symbols on those who deviate.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun May 25, 2014 11:38 pm

So drop the other shoe. What was the focus of this sin sniffer that tipped her hand to your wife and tweaked her sensibilities.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Mon May 26, 2014 10:28 am

Bare_Truth wrote:So drop the other shoe. What was the focus of this sin sniffer that tipped her hand to your wife and tweaked her sensibilities.

I missed the whole "sin sniffing" thing... Another "pet peeve" of mine. Largely because it is just ugly gossip with a pretty dress on.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue May 27, 2014 1:03 am

Herself ran across it while running over the web - she is beginning to feel she needs to shut it down, but she puts in a bit of time seeking out talk about bearable politics, interesting therapies, intriguing recipes or gardening tips, whatever. She happened on some site - address not known to me, but there are likely a few around - where someone was maintaining that getting a reiki treatment or doing a half hour of yoga was purely soul eating demonic.

And yes, there are some who dress such things up with a whole cloth spirituality, but we are talking food offered to idols here.
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Christianity and other religions