Christos aneste

Members are invited to post their personal poetry and favorite songs, if they have copyright permission. Please start a new thread for each one.<P>Only Permanent and Native Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Christos aneste

Postby Petros » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:26 am

Easter Song
George Herbert

I got me flowers to straw Thy way,
I got me boughs off many a tree;
But Thou wast up by break of day,
And brought’st Thy sweets along with Thee.

The sunne arising in the East,
Though he give light, and th’ East perfume,
If they should offer to contest
With Thy arising, they presume.

Can there be any day but this,
Though many sunnes to shine endeavour?
We count three hundred, but we misse:
There is but one, and that one ever.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: Christos aneste

Postby jochanaan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:05 am

And how many modern poets could compress a theological treatise into three stanzas--and such beautifully written stanzas! :D
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:46 am

My BIL - once English prof and still self designated poet - dropped in Sunday, passed him this to read.

He started reading aloud withthe mocking tone reserved for non-canon poets other than himself. Before he reached the end he was reading seriously with feeling. Now THAT is a tribute
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:24 am

Petros wrote:My BIL - once English prof and still self designated poet - dropped in Sunday, passed him this to read.

He started reading aloud withthe mocking tone reserved for non-canon poets other than himself. Before he reached the end he was reading seriously with feeling. Now THAT is a tribute

Isaiah 55:11 "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

I DEFINITELY believe this applies to the Word of God, as in the written Scripture, but I also believe that it applies to the "inspired" words uttered or written by those who are sensitive to His proddings, including many of the sermons preached on Sundays (or Saturdays... or Wednesdays) and many of the songs, hymns, praise and worship, even the word-free music of Christian composers and the silent glories of sunsets, majestic mountains, fields of grain and flower, indeed all of creation.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:28 pm

A too recently graduated pastor once claimed to me any scripture has but one meaning - which is absurd even if you are not a linguist, once you look at communication.

Which is why I am so conscious of the multivalence of scripture, and the alternate reading of 2 Timothy 3:16 as "Any writing, when spirit touched, etc."
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Worship in Song and Poetry