Maintaining Control of the Language of the Dialog

What does Christ teach about the issues of life? Make sure you back up your opinions with scripture, and always be courteous and polite in talking with others.<P>Only Permanent and Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Maintaining Control of the Language of the Dialog

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:Rather than making the topic something generic and trying to guide it, maybe it should be changed.
Well I thought that is what I was trying to do with the reference to the title and my header about getting back to the issue of the originating post.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what you had in mind. My comments about the generic mechanism used were intended to illuminate the issue of free exercise of religion and the either deliberate or careless use of language which endangers the existence of true freedom in religious exercise.

The title and the original post seem to point to those (in this case, those you deem liberal) who redefine terms in order to change the meaning of terms by obfuscating the real meanings...

It seems from later posts that you really want to criticize certain "agendas" which you do not agree with.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:05 pm

bn2bnude wrote:It seems from later posts that you really want to criticize certain "agendas" which you do not agree with.

Don't we ALL do that? It is the basis by which debate and forums like this exist.

I am inclined to agree with Bare_Truth, that from my point of view, it is USUALLY the so-called "liberals" who attempt to change the meaning of words to make them mean what they want them to mean.

In the words of one such famous "liberal", "It all depends on what meaning of the word 'is' is." (William Clinton), also famous for eliminating oral sex from the definition of "sexual relations" when he said "I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman, Monica Lewinsky"
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby vycna » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:27 pm

I agree that there is an issue with terms being redefined, and the free exercise of our religion will be at stake from this process. Yet the constitution, with the bill of rights, is still in place in the US, and Christians can still choose to be bold with practice of their Christianity in America, and they still cannot be fully prosecuted from the law for it. But it will be compromised from language used generally to change the terms, as the constitution is weakened, and there is suggestion of that happening. There is opportunity for us as a society to grow in appropriate freedom, but it looks like it may possibly go in the other direction.
vycna
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Christianity and Ethics