Is that a denominational Difference ???

Here you can discuss differences in belief between different denominations, or other religions and Christianity. This is an informational forum. Always be courteous and polite, and respect other people's views and values.<P>Permanent Residents may only reply to posts here; Native Residents may initiate & reply to posts here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Is that a denominational Difference ???

Postby natman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:28 am

jochanaan wrote:What I have observed is that, in general, the more passionate a Christian or Christian group is about doctrine, the more they tend to focus on "modesty," and the more they tend to define it as covering our God-made bodies.

I tend to agree with the first part of the statement, that the more passionate a Christian or Christian group is about doctrine, the more they tend to focus on "modesty". However, when they do so, they generally do not define it as "covering our God-made bodies", but rather as "covering our fallen bodies". They typically will say that there was nothing wrong with man's nudity.... until sin entered the world, and that after sin entered the world, we should no longer see our "fallen" bodies.

As to the discussion about Trinitarianism versus Oneness doctrine and salvation, I agree that it does matter that we understand Who Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit are (versus Jesus Delgado the car mechanic), that we are saved through Christ and His death, burial and resurrection. And, though I find it hard to understand how anyone who has read the entirety of Scripture can come up with any other doctrine aside from Trinitarian, I also have a harder time stating that we must get such doctrine, all doctrine or any doctrine 100% correct in order to be saved. If that were the case, then I doubt that ANY of us would be saved, and certainly least, me. Although I have studied Scripture intently for more than 40 years, there are STILL some areas that I do not completely understand and some areas where I learn something new. We do a daily Bible study, and although it is getting less and less, I still come across studies that make me say, "I never thought of it that way." or which encourage me to dig out my Bible and study some new aspect of God. I would hate to think that if I had died the day before, I would have been condemned to Hell for all eternity. :(
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:04 am

If you do not find areas you do not understand, you have not come close to adequate study of the scriptures.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:04 pm

natman wrote:
jochanaan wrote:What I have observed is that, in general, the more passionate a Christian or Christian group is about doctrine, the more they tend to focus on "modesty," and the more they tend to define it as covering our God-made bodies.

I tend to agree with the first part of the statement, that the more passionate a Christian or Christian group is about doctrine, the more they tend to focus on "modesty". However, when they do so, they generally do not define it as "covering our God-made bodies", but rather as "covering our fallen bodies". They typically will say that there was nothing wrong with man's nudity.... until sin entered the world, and that after sin entered the world, we should no longer see our "fallen" bodies....
Points well taken. Yes, they do tend to forget that God made our bodies as well as our souls and spirits. And as many people have said, "God don't make junk!" :D
Petros wrote:If you do not find areas you do not understand, you have not come close to adequate study of the scriptures.
AMEN!!!

Natman, do you suppose we can get an emoticon for "Amen"? :)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:42 pm

SOMEbody MUST have designed one.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:42 pm

jochanaan wrote:Natman, do you suppose we can get an emoticon for "Amen"? :)

I could do that. Or you could always imbed an image from the internet. Can I get an
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Previous

Return to Christianity and other religions