The Reverse of a Trip Report (for the Moment)

Do you have any interesting stories involving naturism, such as first time experiences, etc? Have you been to a nudist, or C/O resort recently? Share your trip reports, and personal experiences with us here, so we all can be blessed.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

The Reverse of a Trip Report (for the Moment)

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:57 pm

I do not have a trip report to give for the moment but there is a possibility I might have one in the future...... With a little help from my friends.

Circa April 2016 my wife and I will encounter our 50th Anniversary. We are agreed that we would like to do a good job of celebrating it. We have for instance considered a cruise, however being the landlubbers that we are and not liking being in densely populated situations that is not likely a good choice. However I broached the possibility of going to some sort of SPA where we can be pampered and she seemed interest in the possibility. Now of course I am thinking of clothing optional :wink:

Since it will be April, the weather will be an issue. and my first thought was that to be warm enough we should be thinking somewhere between Florida and the south western U.S. or possibly Hawaii So to that end I thought I would ask for suggestions.

Bearing in mind that we know very little of what the weather is like in many such locations. We have 5 granddaughters in Florida but given that the mother of 4 of them is estranged from us because she is in a cult, we might only get to visit with one in the Tampa Florida, plus her brother (in poor health) and his wife are inland in the north end of the peninsula there would be some visiting possibilities there.

In south Texas we have friends in a church congregation we used to attend in the San Antonio area and over towards Brazoria, as well as I taught in north east Texas at the University of Texas at Tyler.

In the South West we have talked about visiting the Grand Canyon before. I cannot imagine that getting into California would be of any interest to us as that over urbanized madness is anathema to us.

Hawaii of course would require air or sea travel and caution would be required to keep us from being sort of stuck on the wrong Island.

I am thinking that Florida might prove to be the best of options but I do not have a lot of experience with any of the areas. On the down side of Florida there is the matter that it is a major SPRING BREAK destination and the kind of excess that entails is not something that would resonate well with our moral outlook. Plus so much stuff would probably be booked up and prices at the maximum.

So with all that being said, I would appreciate it if any of you have specific suggestions that might help us investigate our options. I suppose that perhaps I should have asked about off shore Carribean options. Our new Passports should arrive in another few weeks. I hate flying however so that is always a factor but Hawaii has that problem too but an overnight boat ride might be a viable alternative.
(All that crap at the airports is odious.)

-- I have had some unpleasant experiences with luggage destroyed by TSA when my checked baggage had my laptop power supply inside, and they cut it open after x-ray showed a solid mass with wires coming out of it, and then tried to blame in on automated luggage handling equipment even though they had put a note inside saying that they opened it.
-- On another occasion when my wife was waiting for our stuff to come through the x-ray while they took me aside for extra time to scan me and she did not realize that my back pack was missing and on its way to bomb disposal !

I suppose that another factor I should mention is that we are frugal in our approach to things but not stingy so we don't mind paying for quality but we are not spendthrifts either. I suppose I cannot say "money is no object" but I could say that especially for this occasion it is not a huge object.

The floor is now open to tell me where to go. (NO! You know what I mean ! :roll: )
Bare_Truth
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: The Reverse of a Trip Report (for the Moment)

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:10 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:I do not have a trip report to give for the moment but there is a possibility I might have one in the future...... With a little help from my friends.

Circa April 2016 my wife and I will encounter our 50th Anniversary. We are agreed that we would like to do a good job of celebrating it. We have for instance considered a cruise, however being the landlubbers that we are and not liking being in densely populated situations that is not likely a good choice. However I broached the possibility of going to some sort of SPA where we can be pampered and she seemed interest in the possibility. Now of course I am thinking of clothing optional :wink:

Since it will be April, the weather will be an issue. and my first thought was that to be warm enough we should be thinking somewhere between Florida and the south western U.S. or possibly Hawaii So to that end I thought I would ask for suggestions.

The Sonoran Desert of Arizona, the Mojave in southern California and the southern coast near San Diego is a pleasant place to be in early April.
Spa: Living Waters Spa in Desert Hot Springs, CA would be great for you two! Christian-run and seeker friendly.
As big as Los Angeles is, California is far bigger and far more diverse in every way. Los Angeles is not a synonym for California.
You might like visiting Olive Dell Ranch on the far eastern desert fringes of the LA metro area.

Bare_Truth wrote:Bearing in mind that we know very little of what the weather is like in many such locations. We have 5 granddaughters in Florida but given that the mother of 4 of them is estranged from us because she is in a cult, we might only get to visit with one in the Tampa Florida, plus her brother (in poor health) and his wife are inland in the north end of the peninsula there would be some visiting possibilities there.

Northern Florida may be cool and rainy in early April depending on passing weather fronts. Southern Florida offers a better chance of good weather, in fact far better weather than you will experience in mid-summer, warm enough for nudity, but without the extreme humidity that develops in May. (although this is by Florida standards).

Bare_Truth wrote:In south Texas we have friends in a church congregation we used to attend in the San Antonio area and over towards Brazoria, as well as I taught in north east Texas at the University of Texas at Tyler.

Tornados rip through central and east Texas that time of year spawned by strong weather fronts that are problematic enough for travelers and vacationers. [/quote]

Corpus might be pleasant in April, though. Brownsville/Harlingen area is as far south as Miami, much more tropical, but I haven't researched nudist venues there.

Bare_Truth wrote:In the South West we have talked about visiting the Grand Canyon before. I cannot imagine that getting into California would be of any interest to us as that over urbanized madness is anathema to us.
Again, LA is NOT a synonym for California. You can avoid the city easily enough and see much that is natural and beautiful.
The problem with April is that from San Francisco north it is still the chilly rainy season and the Sierras are still in the deep freeze.

Bare_Truth wrote:Hawaii of course would require air or sea travel and caution would be required to keep us from being sort of stuck on the wrong Island.

Hawaii has limited naturist resort opportunities, but there is one place on the Big Island you might want to investigate: Hangin' Loose, a small rustic clothing optional place.
And there are a couple unofficial nude beaches, one on the Big Island and there's one on Maui. I also found a place to skinny dip on Kauai, but not the best beach ever.

The four main islands all offer flights to the US Mainland as well as a handful of international destinations, and flying time is five hours from anywhere on the west coast. To hop between the islands you will need to take a commuter airline (Hawaiian, Go!, Island Air, or Mokulele) on flights which range from 20-50 minutes. In addition to commercial airlines there are a handful of private companies which arrange inter-island tours.

Molokai and Lanai can be reached by ferry from neighboring Maui, although getting there by from any other island will require a short flight. There are no ferries running between any of the other islands. These islands are more like the old Hawaii and I want to spend a lot of time on each of them.

Kahoolawe (due south of Maui) is recovering from environmental disaster and is only open to volunteer laborers. One day its beauty may be restored.

Niihau is privately owned and only native Hawaiians live there, but day trips by helicopter from nearby Kauai are possible. Famous for their shell necklaces and bracelets, this island also is the most purely Hawaiian culturally.

There is a small island, a sunken crater, off the coast of Maui named Molokiniand you can charter a tour to go diving in the offshore reefs.

The higher elevations in Hawaii, Kauai and Maui might still be a bit cool and rainy in April (their climate mimics the temperate zone at those altitudes). But the southwest side of any island is almost always sunny and a visual feast of flowers in the cooler months.

Honolulu dominates southern Oahu, but the Bishop Museum, Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and Manoa Valley might be interesting. The north shore of Oahu is much more open, much more like the outer islands. Well worth a visit to that side of the island.

Kauai and Maui have some badly overdeveloped areas, but much of each island is still rural and beautiful. See for yourself. Kauai: Grand Canyon of the Pacific, Spouting Horn, remote beaches in the western shore; on the north shore is the 11-mile Kalalau Trail (best left to trail-hardened backpackers).

Bare_Truth wrote:I am thinking that Florida might prove to be the best of options but I do not have a lot of experience with any of the areas. On the down side of Florida there is the matter that it is a major SPRING BREAK destination and the kind of excess that entails is not something that would resonate well with our moral outlook. Plus so much stuff would probably be booked up and prices at the maximum.

Spring break focuses on a few beach towns and Disney World. I would not let that stop me. I have been to Florida that time of year and avoided crowds easily.

Bare_Truth wrote:So with all that being said, I would appreciate it if any of you have specific suggestions that might help us investigate our options. I suppose that perhaps I should have asked about off shore Carribean options. Our new Passports should arrive in another few weeks. I hate flying however so that is always a factor but Hawaii has that problem too but an overnight boat ride might be a viable alternative.
(All that crap at the airports is odious.)

Boating to Hawaii is not easily accomplished. Last time I checked, you would have to sail from Vancouver Canada or from Mexico's west coast. There are no US ports to sail from. Sorry, 2,000 miles of high seas between California and Hawaii cannot be traversed by ship overnight.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jasenj1 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:44 am

You mention a _spa_ but is a full on naturist resort in the options as a place to stay or perhaps a place for day visits?

In the Caribbean:
St. Martin has the wonderful Club Orient and Orient Beach. You can easily stay elsewhere on the island (even on Orient Beach) and visit the nude section. There are other CO beaches too.

Jamaica has a number of nice high end-ish all inclusive resorts with CO beaches. "Couples" is a good brand name. Your wife may like this option because of the all inclusive, luxury feel.

Tulum in Mexico is known for CO beaches. It should be more rustic than Jamaica. But that is getting out of your option list.

Florida:
Home of Cypress Cove, probably the "best" naturist resort in US - depending on your definition of "best". Lake Como Club is also a nice resort with a rustic feel and a fair amount of open space.

As Ramblinman said, it's not too hard to avoid the Spring Break crowd. There are areas that cater to them, you probably won't be interested in those places. There are other places that cater to "old" people, you'll probably be interested in those. St. Augustine would be a good choice.

For a "spa" I would suggest Safety Harbor Spa. Founded in 1925, with natural mineral springs. Not CO, but within easy driving distance of several naturist resorts.

Financing:
If you are willing to play credit card games, you can get a bunch of sign up bonus points to use on air fare and other things. My family got a Chase Sapphire card which gives 50,000 points that can be used on many airlines. We got three round-trip tickets to FL with points left over on Southwest.

Some people work these credit card points as a hobby, some find the whole thing distasteful.

Congratulations on 50 years.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:19 pm

It occurs to me now, that I forgot to ask if there are any such places I ought to avoid. I am of course wishing to stay far away from any swinger places or places that would not be compatible with my Christian principles, e.g. swinger gay etc. That would also include CO beach suggestions should we stay at some place not naturist for lodging and take in day trips to CO locations.

As to that credit card points thing, Hobby vs. Distasteful ? We are most definitely on the distasteful side of that issue.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:47 pm

The AANR resorts are a pretty good lot these days, but you can hedge your bet by visiting the web site for the resorts you are interested in.

With any of the family-friendly resorts, your best hope for avoiding drunks, lewdness, etc. is to time your visit to the resort during broad daylight.
Most of the AANR resorts will not have much in the way of overt swinging, but there can still be some heavy drinking, coarse language and public displays of affection late at night.
If you don't know a place well, stay clear of their parties and dances at night.

At Haulover Beach in Florida and at Gunnison in NJ, the homosexuals tend to congregate on one end of the beach and straights elsewhere, but you cannot guarantee that you will not see a homosexual during the day.
Some are obvious (flamboyant), but others you may not be able to discern orientation.
Then again, avoid hair salons, art galleries, restaurants and flower shops where you will see even more gays. :mrgreen:

At the beach, find the local naturist beach club and sit with them, or failing that, sit near the life guard station and never sit alone, find a friendly group to help you keep watch, particularly if you have young female family members in your party. Far too many American men think that women visit a nude beach because they are lonely and a bit slutty and inexplicably assume these unfortunate women are secretly hoping you (local beach masher) will make an indecent proposal. :oops:
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm

I agree with Ramblinman. Living Waters Spa is the place if you want to be pampered. Hot tub and pool are fed by the hot springs from which Desert hot springs gets its name. Both Jeff and Judy are licensed Massage Therapists in addition they have another LMT on staff. They work very hard at making your experience as relaxing as possible. If your wife is not comfortable with being nude, they are truly clothing optional. My wife felt no pressure to be nude if she was uncomfortable doing so. We went there for our 25th anniversary. You can request a room with a kitchen so that you can stay the whole time at the resort without leaving for meals, this would reduce your luggage needs to carry on and you can stop at the grocery store between the airport and resort. It is about a three hour trip from San Diego Airport (drastically cheaper tickets) or about 1/2 hour from Palm Springs Airport (more expensive tickets). True, this is the only resort I've been to, but for relaxation you would be hard pressed to find any better because more relaxing is unimaginable to me.
Naked Preacher
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:41 am

Well, I'm somewhat partial to Colorado since I live here. :) And the weather is often very reasonable here in April, but it can be unpredictable, especially in the high mountains. :shock: However, most of the mountain resorts have most of their amenities indoors.

There are a number of hot springs and spas throughout the Colorado Rocky Mountains, and many of them are clothing-optional. A couple of places to consider are http://www.indianhotsprings.com/ and http://www.orvishotsprings.com/ I haven't been to either place myself, but some of my friends have, and they say that both places are very nice.

Or for a unique experience, there is a spa in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, that features vapor caves--caves with hot springs inside them, like a natural steam bath. However, I don't remember, and could not determine from their website http://www.yampahspa.com, whether the caves are clothing-optional. :(
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:35 pm

Looking at their websites, I do not see where Indian Hot Springs or Yampa Spa are "clothing optional".
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:39 am

On second look, I think you're right, natman. But Orvis definitely is. There may also be other C/O spas that I'm not aware of.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby MoNatureMan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:46 pm

I have been down to South Padre Island during the ending part of spring break and things had already returned to normal with only a few groups around. I believe that if you adjust your timing maybe a week or at most 2 you will avoid the majority of spring breakers no mater where you go. And don't forget South Padre has a nude/co beach that you drive the beach to get to. It is well(?!?!) marked by a log painted in red "nude beach".
Agree with others that mid/norther Florida is still cool outside that time of year.
If you do the Bahamas idea I want a full report. Might be great place to take mine for 44th.
One last note on spring break. Due to the number of kids and behavior, places to stay become limited and rates often double. So you may want to avoid the top 2 or 3 weeks of SB in many locations.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:49 pm

MoNatureMan wrote:And don't forget South Padre has a nude/co beach that you drive the beach to get to. It is well(?!?!) marked by a log painted in red "nude beach".

And don't forget the Nude UFO...
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Return to Personal Naturist Experiences & Trip Reports