One step at a time

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

One step at a time

Postby gardenlover » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:21 pm

My family didn't attend church when I was young. During my teens and early twenties my life was pretty hedonistic. That began to change when I met the woman that was to become my wife. I immediately sensed there was something different about her, she wasn't like the other women that ran with us at the time. It was that difference that hooked me.

She didn't set out to change me, but neither would she allow me to corrupt her principles. She was raised going to church. Her family had a big Bible sitting on an end table. The first book I read was Revelation. Much of it didn't make sense, but I couldn't stop reading it. It scared and convicted me. To make a long story short we were married after dating for three years. I had to attend classes and we both had to speak to the priest before he would marry us. I think that is one of the reasons our marriage has lasted as long as it has.

I started talking to a friend that worked the midnight shift with me, as I knew he was "religious." We had many good conversations about Christianity and were blessed to be able to listen to Christian talk radio while we worked. He attended an Assembly of God church and invited me to attend numerous times before I finally took him up on his offer. The church was 45 miles from where we lived, but it was the church where I got saved. Needless to say the 45 mile trip got old fast. We found a Bible based non-denominational church in our area and our faith continued to grow.

We moved out of that area to find better schools for our young children. We found another non-denominationial church and have been attending regularly. The kids are grown now and looking back the time sure flies.
gardenlover
Native Resident

Re: One step at a time

Postby Petros » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:09 pm

By no means identical - but not unfamiliar. Especially - that Difference.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:23 am

Great testimony, I love hearing the stories of how Christ came into the lives of others. (I almost said how others came to Christ but changed it)
Naked Preacher
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:12 pm

There are many roads to the Way, but only one Way. We are blessed to see that you have found it. :D
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:06 am

gardenlover wrote:Her family had a big Bible sitting on an end table. The first book I read was Revelation. Much of it didn't make sense, but I couldn't stop reading it. It scared and convicted me.

In my opinion, Revelation should be the LAST book of the Bible that you read, not the first. Revelation is hard enough to understand on it's own, however after reading the rest of Scripture and particularly the major prophets, the imagery and language become much more understandable.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:24 am

Thing is, the logical orders are not always the right orders. A book - INCLUDING the Bible, which I would contend is a hologram, with several shards arranged in no reasoned order each of which contains the TEXT - can hook you with the jacket picture, the last chapter read on the train, a quote in a review ...

But - you don't bite the hook, you don't read the book.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby gardenlover » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Petros wrote:Thing is, the logical orders are not always the right orders. A book - INCLUDING the Bible, which I would contend is a hologram, with several shards arranged in no reasoned order each of which contains the TEXT - can hook you with the jacket picture, the last chapter read on the train, a quote in a review ...

But - you don't bite the hook, you don't read the book.

Well said Petros, I believe this is what happened in my case. It was the prophecy describing what was to come that got my attention. I then read more to find out if I could avoid God's wrath.
gardenlover
Native Resident

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey