The ABC's of becoming a Christian

There are many views on becoming a Christian. Here you may discuss your views, and even disagree with the introductory sticky post. Make sure you offer your rationale, and talk with each other courteously and respectfully. If you are not a Christian, this is a good place to ask your questions.<P>Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Postby eric731 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:55 pm

Kirk and Ray have a good presentation about becoming a Christian.

You can find it at NeedGod.com

-Eric
eric731
Permanent Resident

Re: The ABC's of becoming a Christian

Postby Petros » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:01 pm

The problem for me of these ABCs -

What are the ABCs of becoming a human?

It start with a seeding - not with my volition.

Does one - without nips from the sheepdog of Heaven - say, I WILL become a Christian, what is the drill?, or, My, I wonder what it's like to be a Christian, I 'llk try it out.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:31 am

Petros wrote:The problem for me of these ABCs -

What are the ABCs of becoming a human?

It start with a seeding - not with my volition.

Does one - without nips from the sheepdog of Heaven - say, I WILL become a Christian, what is the drill?, or, My, I wonder what it's like to be a Christian, I 'llk try it out.

The Holy Spirit does not nip heels, but he does call the elect.
No one comes without being called.
I am not the Holy Spirit, though sometimes am an unwitting vessel of this calling business.
His word does not return void, he did not say it always results in the immediate salvation of the people you directly speak to, but there's sort of a ripple effect. God's word through you or I radiates out beyond to reach third parties in unexpected ways, sometimes years after we have departed this earth for the heavenlies.
Sometimes I act like a sheepdog, but that's just me, nothing to do with the Holy Spirit.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:40 am

I actually believe in sheepdogs, not that my experience was that of Francis Thompson > http://www.houndsofheaven.com/thepoem.htm < , but I have seen how by a bark here, a glare there, a charge, a light nip I was brought to the door to the fold, to enter or bolt.

Compare the mountain path at night scene from the Horse and His Boy - we are given not coercion, but guidance.

And if you or I act on occasion as a sheepdog - isn't it the Shepherd directing us with whistles and gestures of his staff?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:52 am

Petros wrote:I actually believe in sheepdogs, not that my experience was that of Francis Thompson > http://www.houndsofheaven.com/thepoem.htm < , but I have seen how by a bark here, a glare there, a charge, a light nip I was brought to the door to the fold, to enter or bolt.

Compare the mountain path at night scene from the Horse and His Boy - we are given not coercion, but guidance.

And if you or I act on occasion as a sheepdog - isn't it the Shepherd directing us with whistles and gestures of his staff?

Sometimes the consequences of folly are the sheepdog.
Hand on stove burns and I have much more caution and respect for extreme heat from then on.

If there is a sheepdog that guides rather than coerces, that is not to be despised. We seem to agree! :D
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:19 am

I've watched film, of sheepdog trials. It is impressive. The dogs lie down, rise, run, bark, nip, hold back, run to turn the sheep this way and that, stay behind to keep them moving , run ahead to make the sheep halt. All totally in response to the shepherd's signals.

When you see a straggled of sheep neatly molded into a flock and moved on the command of a solitary shepherd into the fold - well, I appreciate how I got where I am today.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Then you MIGHT like this one as well....
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:24 pm

I would say extreme fits.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby prairieboy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:47 pm

I believe that it is Bob Hazlett who tells of a women calling him to tell him that she had come to believe in Jesus, that he was who the Bible said he was. She belonged to a new age "church" that Bob had been invited to speak at, with repeat visits. She asked Bob how she could be saved. He was starting to go through the "Roman road" with her, when something inside him said "she just did." and brought Romans 10:9 to his remembrance.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby Airfree1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:53 pm

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved..."
-Jesus, Mark 16:16

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."
-Jesus, John 3:5
Airfree1
Permanent Resident

Previous

Return to How to become a Christian