Pippa Passes Professor Solemn Man's Course.

Members are invited to share statements in praise to God for all God's goodness to you. You may also share answers to prayer, and stories of how God is leading in your life. Please start a new thread for each praise item.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Pippa Passes Professor Solemn Man's Course.

Postby Petros » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:25 pm

God's in his heaven all's right with the world.

I open the computer this morning and in the unavoidable unreadables there is a problematic face wryly smirking at me, but the Lord is not in the webtalk; and most I hear from are in great need of post holiday recharging, but the sun also ariseth and tomorrow is another day.

The appointment that might have been was cancelled, and Number 1 Son is beat but safely home. Those we care about are distant but well. Those problematic to us are thriving but distant.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

With God nothing shall be impossible.

God bless us, every one, with an overall positive 2016
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: Pippa Passes Professor Solemn Man's Course.

Postby nakedpreacher » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Amen
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:22 am

Nice Robert Browning references! :D But remember that the same poet who wrote "God's in His heaven/All's right with the world" also wrote "This grew, I gave commands/Then all smiles stopped together." :?
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:49 am

I seem to be in a Browning mode - I drew from Rabbi ben Ezra for my annual Christmas note to Herself. He is an interesting type and more readable [for me] than many others - but - if it be possible - wordier even than I am. I suspect him of being an ennea5w6 - the more so as the available pictures suggest he owned a total of one expression, which is near-diagnostic.

But, as you say, Pippa alone is one-sided though arguably not two dimensional, which is why I balance him with our friend S Davidson.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:11 am

"S Davidson"?
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:37 am

Heh!

What prominent member of Royal David's family is associated words quoted above?

Shloyme ben David, the solemn man.

Anglice, Solly Davidson.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:48 am

Petros wrote:God's in his heaven all's right with the world.

I open the computer this morning and in the unavoidable unreadables there is a problematic face wryly smirking at me, but the Lord is not in the webtalk; and most I hear from are in great need of post holiday recharging, but the sun also ariseth and tomorrow is another day.

The appointment that might have been was cancelled, and Number 1 Son is beat but safely home. Those we care about are distant but well. Those problematic to us are thriving but distant.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

With God nothing shall be impossible.

God bless us, every one, with an overall positive 2016

Your cozy sunlit house is protected by the vast Dismal Swamp that surrounds it.
The seeming gloom of the swamp deflects and discourages the problematic,
sparing you from their true gloom more times than not.
But may those whom you love paddle through the slough of despond,
taking no thought of shadow and fog,
arriving safe at your door, come thaw of spring.
The young warrior has no outward scars from the battle, but his soul bears a wound that must heal.
May he find courage to return to fight again.
Everyone else can foresee his victory against the things he fears.
When he himself sees it, he shall have it!
The Lord whispered in Solomon's ear, "The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?"
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:58 am

Nice equating the Slough of Despond with the Great Dismal Swamp. The image from the Pilgrim that most sticks with me is walking the narrow ridge and avoiding the perils of slippage.

Of course, that is where Number 1 Son stands; in my time I too made bold faces to hide the doubts and all within. But he is walking the path.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:35 pm

Petros wrote:Heh!

What prominent member of Royal David's family is associated words quoted above?

Shloyme ben David, the solemn man.

Anglice, Solly Davidson.

*blushes* You got me there! :lol:
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to Worship in Praise