Faith Walk

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Faith Walk

Postby WalkingLightly » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Grew up in a Catholic family - we knew of God and obeyed the rules, but didn't know God personally.

Family ran into hard times when I was a teenager. Folks were fighting all the time. Then my little brother died. It drove my parents to God, and they ran into a Catholic who was born again and who told them about why Jesus came and how to accept him. They did, and started going to meetings with other born again Catholics. Their attitudes and how they reacted with changed so radically, that each of their kids individually wanted to go with them and find out why they had changed. We all became born again.

It radically changed my life and I knew that even though I might miss some exciting things (which I didn't even know what they were at that point!!) I knew I had to ask the Lord in and turn my life over to him.

Continued to grow in Christ and in Faith as I got older. I went through some struggles in my life that were planted in my childhood, and gradually began maturing and falling into a deeper relationship with God.

Older now, and continuing to seek out those things that are pleasing to him even if some Christians think they're bad. I dance, and occasionally play cards, but don't gamble my money away. i drink a small ammount occasionally, but dont get drunk.

Trying to be free, but not let my freedom be a stumbling block to others...

-WL
- WL
WalkingLightly
Resident

Re: Faith Walk

Postby prairieboy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:09 am

Praise God. By now I am sure that you have found that there is a lot that is exciting about walking with God. Also, while those around us are worried about the state of the economy, crime, ISIS, and everything else, we can be at peace as we walk in faith.
Gerald
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:57 am

Interesting story, are you still practicing Catholicism. My family attended midnight Mass on Christmas eve a few years ago with a friend. It was our first Catholic Mass. I think I found more meaning in the liturgy than our friend did. She loves the mass for its familiarity, I enjoyed it for its symbolism. It is good to hear you speak of Born Again Catholics. I believe that in the end the true church will come from all denominations. In every Church there are some who truly follow Christ and unfortunately there are also those in every church who do not.
Naked Preacher
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:51 pm

nakedpreacher wrote:... I think I found more meaning in the liturgy than our friend did. She loves the mass for its familiarity, I enjoyed it for its symbolism. It is good to hear you speak of Born Again Catholics. I believe that in the end the true church will come from all denominations. In every Church there are some who truly follow Christ and unfortunately there are also those in every church who do not.
Naked Preacher

A couple amens. The Church is not limited by the churches.

On the liturgy - I was raised Episopalian, and long before coming to Christ found the liturgy rich and meaningful. When I add in professionally checking out other liturgies - Orthodox, Coptic, the Syriac churches - even looked at the Armenian a little - SO much there. From earliest time, scripture and preaching blended into poetry and drama.

Some may find this interesting http://www.amazon.com/Springtime-Liturgy-Classics-Lucien-Deiss/dp/0814610234/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453142913&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Spri
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey