Easter and Passover

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Easter and Passover

Postby prairieboy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:43 am

I remember reading somewhere that the Sadducees used to be in charge of the calendar and that they had a different system of calculating some of the dates than the Pharisees had.
While we are at it, three days and three nights does not fit with Friday to Sunday.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:58 pm

prairieboy wrote:I remember reading somewhere that the Sadducees used to be in charge of the calendar and that they had a different system of calculating some of the dates than the Pharisees had.
While we are at it, three days and three nights does not fit with Friday to Sunday.

Passover did not always fall on the weekly Sabbath, still doesn't.
It is considered an annual sabbath.
Leviticus 23:5. “In the fourteenth day of the first month at even (evening) is the LORD's Passover.”

The new moon following the vernal equinox, or more accurately the tekufah, is the first day of the new year.
http://www.lightedway.org/year.html
The annual sabbath of Passover more times than not DOES NOT FALL on the weekly sabbath!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Did more research and found.
Early days of the Church, resurrection day was celebrated at different times in different parts of the world. Reasons seem to be linked to communications, copies of Bible, and copies of 'Jewish Holy Books'.
In 325 AD at the Roman Catholic, Council of Nicaea it was decided to merge the 'Spring Celebrations', with the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. This did 2 things. It standardized the date and brought pagan worshipers into the church. As mentioned earlier, the name Easter has reference to the beginning of spring and also to a pagan goddess of fertility. The date is calculated by, the 1st Sunday (March 27. 2016) after the 1st full moon (March 22, 2016) after the sun crossed the equator, starting spring in the northern hemisphere (March 20, 2016). This date of celebration calculation, was reaffirmed in another Council in 525 AD.

As expected, I disagree with the early Roman Catholic Church in setting the date that way. However it has been almost 1700 years since it was set, and there has not been any major attempt by Catholic or Protestant to change it. So I do not expect any change in the near or even distant future.

In Him
Ron :cross:
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity