Jim's faith journey

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Jim's faith journey

Postby Jim » Wed May 11, 2016 10:49 pm

I'm new here and see I should say a little about my faith journey. It's long, so a very brief outline at the moment. I grew up in the Methodist Church and had made a faith commitment at the time of my confirmation around 1964. I had a deeper "born again" experience in college in 1971. Early formative events in the '70s were my understanding the Scripture is authoritative, receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit, becoming a pacifist, learning the essential unity of Christians, whether conservative or liberal (theologically or politically) and feeling the call to Christian community. After dropping out of grad school, I soon found my way to intentional Christian community, where I met my wife. We now have two adult children and still live in intentional Christian community.
Jim
Native Resident

Re: Jim's faith journey

Postby jochanaan » Sun May 15, 2016 12:38 pm

Tell us more about this intentional Christian community. It sounds like the early disciples... 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Jim » Mon May 16, 2016 9:59 pm

jochanaan wrote:Tell us more about this intentional Christian community. It sounds like the early disciples... 8)

The end of Acts 2 is the inspiration for many intentional Christian communities:
And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And fear came upon every soul; and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.
And all who believed were together and had all things in common; and they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts,
praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

I grew up hearing about Koinonia Farm in sermons at my Methodist church (https://www.koinoniafarm.org/). In college, an number of folks in our fellowship group visited the Church of the Redeemer community in Houston. In grad school I was part of a Christian household. In 1980 I moved to Jubilee Partners (http://www.jubileepartners.org/), a daughter community of Koinonia. Since then I have been part of New Covenant Fellowship in Athens Ohio, and now Plow Creek Fellowship in Illinois.

One of the main biblical commands is "love one another." That is hard to do if you don't even know one another. Well, it's still hard to do sometimes. The early church was described of being "of one heart and mind." I have not found that much of the time in modern communities, but believe it's worth the effort.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon May 16, 2016 10:06 pm

Almost took a job in Athens once. Interesting setting.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Mon May 16, 2016 10:27 pm

Petros wrote:Almost took a job in Athens once. Interesting setting.

Very interesting. OU known as a party school, and they had their annual riots, but many arts activities, fascinating scholars, and a large international community. Excellent farmers' market and great relationships between farmers. A number of intentional communities, including lesbian, hippy, and Christian. Inspirational peace activists. And much natural beauty.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed May 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Very much so. There were reasons for choosing thde alternative - but the attraction was there. One never knows which is the path by straight human criteria.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey