Nudism as a substitute for God

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Nudism as a substitute for God

Postby jasenj1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:43 am

I'd like to draw your attention to a recent post on AANR's website.
http://www.aanr.com/news-events/across- ... nd-camp-on

Some select quotes:
"I was introduced (with major reluctance) to nudism in my 30s, and found that it gave me the very things I had been seeking all my life. It gave me a community, a family, a cause, and an idea that was worth defending."

"... my passion, commitment, and determination to devote myself to nudist rights ..."

"It brought me face-to-face with the issue of what nude recreation means to me. It is a freedom that I cherish, and am willing to commit everything in my life to fight to support. It is not recreational and it is not a hobby — it is the most intrinsic thing in my life"

I read this and sigh that this person appears to have placed nudism where God should be in their life. Nudism is a fine and worthy cause. But it should not be the driving passion of our lives. There are many in the world who substitute worthy causes for a relationship with God.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Re: Nudism as a substitute for God

Postby Petros » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:04 am

Too true. People find much the same in environmentalism ans a host of other isms, in churches [as opposed to THE church] , in a sports team, etc. I see it but I do not get it.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:34 pm

JasenJ1:
I certainly understand your point. However, without further information about Susan Weaver, I would have to ask some questions before I could arrive at the conclusion. Certainly any serious Christian should be somewhat concerned as to how this person expresses her passion for the principles of "Nude Living". Taken in an absolute literal sense what she has written sounds daunting. But a mere 795 words expressed in a specific context may give a skewed or unbalanced conception of what the person is really like.

I will agree, if taken as an overall reflection of "everything this person is about", the article might be cause for concern, grave concern. However if taken instead as a passionate expression of what this person values in just this facet of her life, the picture could be very different.

Some people compartmentalize their life, and may approach other facets of their life with the same passion. In such a case, to know the person would require understanding their hierarchy of the "compartments" of their life. Consider King David, of whom God said that David is a Man after my own heart. Surely God was not speaking about how David threw himself into the adultery with Bathsheba! But surely God was speaking of how fully david sought repentance and turned from his Sin once he saw that sin for every evil thing it was. Certainly Sarah Weaver shows the characteristic of the Biblical principle of "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, Do it with all thy might".

So then if as you seem to have taken the article, indeed it would have been very disturbing if it literally applied to 100 % of her life. But if the context is different and applies only so far as her social involvement in matters of this world, it may not be problematic at all. Indeed if her zeal and commitment that she is expressing is a personality trait that is "portable to other facets of her life" and if she carries it over into a commitment to God she would be an asset to her faith group.

So, yes, I would have to agree with you, if this is "the entire book of her life" the situation would be deplorable, but on the other hand if this is "just one page out of the book of her life" it may be an incredibly positive indication and one would need to read the chapter on her faith. A mere 795 words is too brief and lacks the context of the whole book.

But yes, it does raise a question, and finding the answer to that question would require some research to make sure that one understands the whole context of a person's life.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Christians in the days of ancient Rome did not have to choose between social nudity and Christian living.
The public baths were, in those towns that had them, simply one more place where one could share the gospel of Jesus Christ with your friends and neighbors.

And in modern days, God has used nudism to restore right thinking about the body in Christians who were raised with warped notions of shame and prurient interest.
It is no coincidence that the Reverend Ilsley Boone was one of the principals who introduced the concept to America.

In like manner, we are grateful for the sun and moon, but we certainly don't worship them.
Rather, we worship the ONE who created all things.

Susan Weaver's words sound off balance in the absence of context, but context is important.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby prairieboy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:17 pm

Ramblinman wrote:Christians in the days of ancient Rome did not have to choose between social nudity and Christian living.
The public baths were, in those towns that had them, simply one more place where one could share the gospel of Jesus Christ with your friends and neighbors.

As the nude beach, or the naturist resort, can (should?) be today.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:10 pm

prairieboy wrote:
Ramblinman wrote:Christians in the days of ancient Rome did not have to choose between social nudity and Christian living.

As the nude beach, or the naturist resort, can (should?) be today.

Some of my fondest recollections of Christian fellowship have occurred inside nudist camps.
I have met fellow believers from my denomination and others, been discipled by pastors, ministers of music, studied the doctrine of covenants under the guidance of a Bible teacher and visited with two Christian authors.
Attended a spiritual retreat and several worship services.
It so happens that we were without clothing, but that was incidental to the time with the Lord and one another.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism