Lifeguard tried to chase a shark away from a nude beach

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Lifeguard tried to chase a shark away from a nude beach

Postby Maverick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Saw this linked on Drudge today: http://www.bradenton.com/news/nation-world/national/article160662164.html#fmp

Lifeguard tried to chase a shark away from a nude beach. That made it attack instead
by Sydney Pereira

Something rare happened this weekend at Haulover Beach — so rare that it has only occurred 15 times in recorded history in Miami-Dade coastal waters. A shark bit a swimmer.

And, though nobody seems to be counting, it also appears to be the first recorded shark attack on a nude beach in South Florida.

Elvin Lanza, 44, was taken to Aventura Hospital for surgery Sunday after nasty bites to both legs but is expected to recover.

The attack by the shark — identified as a bull by some observers but impossible to confirm without examining bite marks — might have been provoked in part by a lifeguard trailing the meandering shark on a water bike while trying to warn bathers, said one of the state’s foremost shark authorities.

“The animal was being harassed — not necessarily intentionally — but trying to be herded out of the area,” said George Burgess, director of Florida Natural Museum of History’s International Shark Attack File. “An animal being cornered will lash out. It’s a potential contributing factor that should be addressed.”

All the naked bodies in the water, on the other hand, probably played no role, he said. Sharks can see contrast well and are attracted to it — contrast like those between the sun-kissed and paler parts of a person’s body, which is why experts recommend wearing more neutral-colored bathing suits to reduce the chances of being attacked. But sharks are also attracted to flash and splashes, and Lanza, who was swimming nude, was bitten in the lower legs as he tried to swim to shore.

Video footage shows a Sunny Isles lifeguard puttering on a water bike near a shark estimated at four to five feet long while surrounding swimmers began making for shore. The water bike had been trailing the shark down the beach, according to Rob Boyte, who was sun bathing with a friend near a lifeguard stand. Boyte said he heard someone say “Shark!” Then, he heard the lifeguard blowing the whistle alerting people to get out of the water.

“I don’t know if they couldn’t hear it or were just moving slow,” Boyte said.

Lanza’s mother, in an interview in Spanish with NBC6 News, said that her son had tried to kick the shark to get it to release him.

“He’s recovering, thank God, it was very scary but he’s now under God’s control and that’s what’s important,” she said.

Erika Benitez, spokeswoman for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, said what appeared to be a four- to five-foot bull shark got to Lanza as he was exiting the water. He made it out, she said, and “MDFR Ocean Rescue lifeguards immediately rendered assistance.”

Burgess, who has been studying sharks for decades, said it is difficult to confirm the species of the shark without examining the wounds and interviewing the victim. He also speculated that the water bike could have provoked a reaction if the shark felt cornered but said it can be difficult to pinpoint the cause of an attack.

Bull shark or otherwise, shark attacks are extremely rare in Miami-Dade. They are more common in counties to the north of Miami-Dade and Broward counties — particularly in the surfer havens of Volusia and Brevard, where there have been 290 and 134 reported attacks since 1882. The most common shark attacks are by blacktip and spinner sharks, according to Burgess. They are typically “hit-and-run” attacks, where sharks bite and let go, and result in minor injuries such as tooth impressions, lacerations and other smaller wounds.

Bull sharks are still one of the most worrisome sharks for beachgoers along the coastlines of Florida. Their serrated teeth and aggressive behavior means their wounds can do a lot more damage. Not to mention, they can grow up to 11.5 feet.

They swim near the shore from Virginia down to Brazil and across the Atlantic Ocean near Madagascar. Bull sharks are nearby more often than swimmers realize.

“Most of those encounters people never know about because you can’t see what goes on underwater pretty commonly,” said Neil Hammerschlag, a marine ecologist at the University of Miami. “Bull sharks occur in the water, and if we go in the water, we are entering their environment. But at the same time, it’s that sharks generally try to avoid humans.

“We’re not on their menu, because if we were, we just couldn’t even enter the water.”

Shoreline fish, snappers, mullets and small sharks and rays are among some of the bull shark’s prey. They are “generalists,” according to Hammerschlag, and opportunistic in their food choices. They can tolerate low salinity, and oftentimes, females will give birth in estuaries to keep the pups safe from larger sharks that can’t survive in fresher water.

Swimmers can avoid dangerous encounters with all species of sharks by not swimming when the water is murky, turbulent or dark — like during dawn or dusk. During those times, sharks are more likely to mistake a swimmer’s body as a fish or other type of prey, said Hammerschlag. He also recommends swimming with other people and avoiding places where there have been shark sightings.

“And then lastly, follow your gut,” Hammerschlag said. Many victims feel uneasy or get a weird feeling and shrug it off shortly before being bit.

“If you feel uneasy, get out of the water and generally follow your gut instincts.”
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Re: Lifeguard tried to chase a shark away from a nude beach

Postby webmeister » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:20 pm

That is great that the bitten man is ok...I have never been to Haulover but would like to some day. I wonder if there is a naked section of the beach because in the videos I watched everyone seemed to be wearing clothes...Florida villagers is it a nude beach or not? :)
Live - Love - Laugh
Have Fun!
webmeister
Native Resident

Postby natman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:04 pm

I was going to post something about this event with the headline, "Naked or Dressed - Still Tastes Like Chicken".... Fortunately, sharks don't appear to like chicken.

I guess the bottom line is that nudist beaches are no less subject to attacks from nature than textile beaches, meaning that it was only a matter of time before even a tiny stretch of nude beach would encounter some curious and confused shark.

Amazingly, I found no photos of the beach dwellers in their natural attire. :?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby naturaldon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Maverick wrote: From the article: ...experts recommend wearing more neutral-colored bathing suits to reduce the chances of being attacked.

I wear a neutral color bathing suit as often as I can. It's a dark beige and for the life of me I can't get it off. 8)

All the more reason to skinny dip.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:17 am

webmeister wrote:That is great that the bitten man is ok...I have never been to Haulover but would like to some day. I wonder if there is a naked section of the beach because in the videos I watched everyone seemed to be wearing clothes...Florida villagers is it a nude beach or not? :)

I've never been there but yes, Haulover Beach is nudist/clothing optional beach within sight of the hotels there. It is patrolled by Friends of Haulover Beach ambassadors with the blessing of government officials.

I suspect the footage shown on TV reports of the attack are stock footage or else filmed after the victim was moved to the clothed portion of the beach and not the nudist section.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Return to Nude News