Very aware of the hurricane season

Members are invited to post their prayer requests, and lift up their prayers on behalf of one another. Please start a new thread for each request.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Very aware of the hurricane season

Postby Petros » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:35 am

Only experience rthe edge of one, long ago and far away- I can scarcely imagine.

All affected are in my prayers for a while now.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: Very aware of the hurricane season

Postby JimShedd112 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 am

While I grew up in Florida ( primarily the panhandle and a few years in the Orlando area) I luckily experienced very little effects from hurricanes nor typhoons while stationed at Clark Air Base, Philippines but really feel badly for what the people of Texas/Louisiana and now Florida are living through. But, I also know their resilience and determination to not live in defeat. Unlike those who sat on their hands in New Orleans during/after Katrina the people now affected are taking action to save themselves.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Heard from my grandparents in FL today. They are safe, praise the Lord. They couldn't evacuate due to my grandfather's illness right now, but their house was built to withstand 140+ mph winds, and they didn't get that--so they are fine. They are without power, yet have neighbors and friends looking out for them.

My dad's family in GA have received a lot of rain and high winds, but nothing terribly dangerous.

My boss spent last week in South TX helping friends clean up in the wake of Harvey and said that there is months of work to be done down there, but the people are resilient. As you said, Jim, people aren't sitting on their hands--they're taking action.

Again, praise the Lord! :cross:
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Good news, too, from friends in Ft. Myers. All is well. In fact, he said that they didn't lose power and he was able to watch football Sunday. But of course, others aren't so fortunate. Lots of prayers from remote NW MO going out.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 am

Helpful to hear. We at ground zero - what was yesterday's date again? - can know we're not the only ones involved when these things strike. As I have often said, though, the adrenaline never has much faith, and I for one get worried when the wind shakes the house in its teeth.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Heard from my uncle about my grandparents today. They're still doing fine, but are still without power and may be without power for at least two weeks. Requesting prayers for them and all others without power.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 am

I never had more than a week without power. Prayer is there.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Tornadoes, hurricanes, lightening, snow, ice, flood, heat, earthquake, drought, bears, sharks, whatever. It does not matter where you live or what you do, something is going to get you.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:29 pm

New_Adventurer wrote:It does not matter where you live or what you do, something is going to get you.

I live on the edge, a very dull edge which thankfully hasn't gotten me yet. :D

But seriously, the earth is indeed in turmoil thanks to the sin that was introduced to it in the Fall. I do wonder though if there were hurricanes and such pre-Fall?
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:59 am

IF the earth was the shape and size it is - Tolkien of course suggests otherwise but THAT is another topic - there should have been hurricanes - unless you go with a totally different and difficult weather physics pre-flood.

But even today there are places hurricanes avoid and tsunamis don't reach and tornados bend around. We are inclined to believe Eden at the least was so dsigned and sited.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Petros wrote:But even today there are places hurricanes avoid and tsunamis don't reach and tornados bend around. We are inclined to believe Eden at the least was so dsigned and sited.

Interesting. I, too, am inclined to believe that, but it does warrant more study.
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks for the prayers. Heard yesterday that my grandfather and his family are doing fine and their power is back on, although their A/C isn't working.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Petros wrote:I never had more than a week without power. Prayer is there.

After the Flood of 97 in Grand Forks we bought a generator and placed it in a modified Dog house on the Deck on the back of the house. we ran two 120 volt extension cords into the basement, where after disassembling the circuits from the power panel we attached plugs to the 4 branch circuits and plugged two into each extension cord. This gave us kitchen outlets and lights as well as lighting circuits in all rooms on the first floor That wiring had not flooded. We ran for 17 days that way while we worked on recovery. That way the living quarters had illumination and we could run two space heaters to take the chill off and electric blankets and we could even run the fridge. (which are very low wattage to warm the beds before we powered down for the night and crawled under many blankets on the bed. During the day we could use one of the cords to power fans vacuum cleaner and portable lights or a pump in the basement fortunately the water had drained from the basement but we managed the cords very carefully because wet stuff conducts electricity too. Only had to go to the gas station about every second day. The exhaust from the generator was directed toward an array of water jugs and we got hot water for hand washing and sponge baths that way. To make it more challenging It snowed on us about an inch (It was May in Grand Forks ND)

After a big late winter ice storm, earlier that year, some farm folks we know went for over a month without electricity and they just just got their camping tent and pitched it in the middle of the living room and they and the kids slept in that . Warm bodies in that tent inside a house proved quite adequate although it lacked opportunities for marital relations.

It is amazing how much one can accomplish with a bit of innovation, and how much one can accomplish with care, attention, and a small generator. (best however to have one that provides both 120 & 240 volt power) But it is critical to be aware that emergency routing of power is done safely! And some people are appallingly ignorant when it comes to electricity. As we live in a low density rural location (not to mention that I am an engineer) we are prepared to keep our house operational under off grid situations for 1 to 2 months easily both as to heat and electricity, but it takes planning, I.E. how many people know how much of the kitchen range can be operated at once with only a 3800 watt generator for a source. (i.e. in our case the oven and one small burner but only if you unplug the refrigerator at the same time and have turned off the water heater (we would not heat water electrically anyway) :wink: )
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:38 pm

...but we managed the cords very carefully because wet stuff conducts electricity too.

Whenever I see something like this I am reminded of a Site-Specific Work Instruction that had some bad grammar. What the author wanted to say was that if you needed to use an electric power tool in a damp location you must use a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. What the author actually wrote was that if you were using a tool plugged into a GFCI receptacle, you had to stand in water. Worse yet, when I pointed out the error, the author did not understand and took offence; so much for engineering review.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:40 pm

...but we managed the cords very carefully because wet stuff conducts electricity too.

Whenever I see something like this I am reminded of a Site-Specific Work Instruction that had some bad grammar. What the author wanted to say was that if you needed to use an electric power tool in a damp location you must use a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. What the author actually wrote was that if you were using a tool plugged into a GFCI receptacle, you had to stand in water. Worse yet, when I pointed out the error, the author did not understand and took offence; so much for engineering review.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Return to Worship in Prayer