Lottery ?

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Lottery ?

Postby natman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:46 am

New_Adventurer wrote:The lottery, and gambling in general, is a tax on the mathematically illiterate. Put your play money in the collection plate instead.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:14 am

And if the church, or your favored charitable organization, hold a raffle fundraiser or a bingo night?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Just cruising through some posts and thought I'd add my two cents. I've been to Vegas three times, never gambled a penny and had a great time (once each by myself, with my wife, and with my son). I've never bought a lottery ticket... and I've had a great time. Each of us bears a conviction about this, and I respect all of them, but as for me and my family...
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:45 pm

naturaldon wrote:... I've never bought a lottery ticket... and I've had a great time.

Don, it would seem you have "won the lottery" without ever having played! :lol:
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:26 pm

We've all won when we confess Jesus is Lord! And I gladly and boldly proclaim that.
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:51 am

naturaldon wrote:We've all won when we confess Jesus is Lord! And I gladly and boldly proclaim that.

Well, I wouldn't consider that a "lottery", especially since we know that it has been "fixed" even before the beginning of time. :mrgreen:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 pm

natman wrote:
naturaldon wrote:We've all won when we confess Jesus is Lord! And I gladly and boldly proclaim that.

Well, I wouldn't consider that a "lottery", especially since we know that it has been "fixed" even before the beginning of time. :mrgreen:
Affixed to the Cross. :biggrin:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby naturaldon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:50 pm

Okay, that's a good one... and true!
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:08 am

Which might imply "Pascal's wager" is a misnomer.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:27 am

Despite the fact that I will probably never be financially rich in this world, I am rich in Christ Jesus. I have a beautiful home waiting for me in heaven, where I will live in sweet peace, harmony, contentment, happiness, and free from all pain, sickness, misery, suffering, and sin. The list of what we will be free from and will gain in eternity is way too long to mention all of it here--even if I could think of all of it.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby OzTech » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:51 am

Hmmm... an interesting question... so... God really wants to give us millions of dollars huh? But He has trouble getting it for us so... we give Him a hand... and buy a lottery ticket? Or maybe play the pokies! Hmmm... that doesn't really sound like His way of doing things... we really need to learn to see things from God's perspective... if we can... maybe as we become more like Christ (as per Eph 4:13).

I guess He allows us to go out and spend money of various forms of gambling but personally I do not think that is ideal. I've been poor and God has provided for when I had need but He has not, ever, made me wealthy. Can't help thinking that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle that for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God so perhaps it's best that I have enough to get by on rather than have the problem of having to manage a large financial burden.

I have bought Lottery tickets... back when I was trying to determine if there were any ways to reduce the odds based upon past results and a some mathematical calculations... but always considered any outlay as a 'donation' to the company running the show. For me generally the only time I'm in the situation of purchasing raffle tickets, or the like, is when I'm prevailed upon some by worthwhile charity, or family member selling for said charity, and then I have no thought of ever winning anything... I think I'd be shocked/unbelieving if I ever did... or maybe even suspicious of some sort of con.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that gambling was, in biblical times, associated with one of the pagan gods (Mammon maybe) that the Jews were commanded to drive out of the land. Don't ask me details... it's been too long since I heard that and, back then, it may not have been correct or else I've remembered it wrong.
OzTech
Permanent Resident

Previous

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity