What We Need is a Nude Index

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

What We Need is a Nude Index

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:46 am

So after breakfast this morning I fired up the computer and set about to see what sort of day it was going to be. And as I looked up the Hourly Weather Forecast which is provided by http://www.weather.gov/ (Where I can get a scientific weather report without a bunch of advertising or political hiden agenda falderal), it suddenly occurred to me that what I would really like to have was a weather report with a NUDE INDEX. We get weather reports with things like anticipated wind chill factors in the winter and in the summer we sometimes get a "misery index" based on how hot and humid it will be.

Basically, such indices combine several physical parameters with human physiology factors to predict the good or ill effects of the weather as we will likely perceive it. But we nudists have a different set of responses than textiles do. For instance over a certain range of parameters our metabolism is likely to be stimulated differently so that certain cooler temperatures will be met by our metabolism ramping up to produce more heat for our comfort or a wind that blows steadily will affect us differently than one that fluctuates between lulls and gusts. And bright sunshine falling on our skin on a light breeze day may keep us comfortably warm on an otherwise cold day. Of course there is considerable variability as to how one or another of us might respond to a given index value, but my expectation is that we might readily find that we could each have our own consistently perceived level of response to a given index number.

I would think that such an index would be most useful in areas where there are numerous CO beaches and numerous naturist resorts & parks & trails. If we could come up with such an index calculated from specific measures, it might help with planning our day.

One complication for such an index might be the topography. For instance I find that on my woodland trails I can easily enjoy weather on the trails that I find too cool in large clearings But that is a problem for many such indices where wind or shade is a factor. Still it is interesting to muse on how such an index might be devised and used. I know that for instance that here in South Central Missouri, Ozark Plateau that the south facing mountain slope where MoNatureMan resides produces a warmer "micro-climate" than prevails generally in that county. The result being that spring days become all the more delightful from the combination of the fresh cool spring breezes being moderated by the warm sun, though it may necessitate being alert to a need to be careful to not burn as our protective tan has faded over the winter.

All that being said, even a rough index might be an interesting thing to muse on. Of course any TV weather report that should announce such an index, might just scandalize a lot of textile prudes, but then again it might just help normalize naturism in the minds of some parts of the population.

Ok, so much for my random musings this morning. :D
How do you assess the the "nude potential" that a day will likely offer you as you progress through the day?
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: What We Need is a Nude Index

Postby bn2bnude » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:20 am

There is a website called Dark Sky that has some pretty neat weather features. One is that you can register for a key and pull weather data for your own use. It comes to you in JSon format which can be parsed to meaningful data for, say, a website or computer program.

From there you can decide what data you want/need and how you want to use it.

By the way, I use their App on my phone. I'll get a notification like "Drizzle starting in 10 minutes", look outside and see that it's relatively accurate.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Bare, it sounds like there could be an algorithm for that... albeit a potentially big one with lots of variables.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:42 pm

experience watching the weather forecast and feeling it as it comes, gives me a pretty good idea what to expect for nude compatible weather. So without making a science of it I have sort of developed my own feel good nude weather index. Based on inputs of sunshine or cloudy, temperature, wind. I judge whether it will be; a forget it day, barely tolerable, reasonably comfortable, a bit warm, or too hot. With the other variable of whether I will do vigorous exercise, light work, or lay around. The weather system puts numbers to their indexes, but I never thought of it in that way. The cold can feel a lot colder when it's wet, or the hot can feel a whole lot hotter when it's humid. The wind can make everything feel cooler. I don't know how they attach temperature degrees to a feeling.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:03 am

Step outside and feel it, then consult the forecast and decide if the remainder of the day is threaded or skin.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 pm

New_Adventurer wrote:Step outside and feel it, then consult the forecast and decide if the remainder of the day is threaded or skin.
Indeed a very practical measure once the weather has arrived, However it is a little weak on the predictive value or at some location you are considering driving a couple of hours to get to. It was the predictive value that I thought would be nice to have, in much the same way as we use the wind chill factor in the winter time, especially in the colder climates or the prediction of an impending ice storm, or the misery index during the summer when it is likely to get very hot and humid and we were thinking of going to the park or other outdoor activity. Or the pollen index which is so important to those who have allergies. But what you suggest is certainly practical even if not very predictive or useful for watching trends in the recent weather.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby dv8 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:13 pm

I suspect it may not be all that far away, since we already have the so-called "heat index" and "wind-chill factor" taken into account. I wonder if your proposed Nude Index couldn't simply take those instruments and add in two additional factors: one would be how much the wind plays a factor in the temperature, and the other would consider how intense the sun is going to be. For example, two warm days with identical heat indices and cloud coverage but one at summer solstice and the other at autumn equinox would affect the skin in different ways, and a breeze that is more or less irrelevant for a clothed person at 72 degrees may tip the scales for the nude sunbather.

Which brings up another variable, which is level of activity. But that's not up to the weather forecaster!
dv8
Native Resident

Postby MountainDog » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:50 pm

It would be difficult to program all the variables that would be needed for a nude index. It also is very individualistic. Like for me. I can lay out comfortably on a sunny windless day down to into the low 40s. Even a slight breeze will feel good at times. Spending anytime up and about and it will get chilly. Being out in 40s near sunset or dark and it is cold!
MountainDog
Permanent Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:05 pm

We already have wind-chill, heat indexes, and UV warnings. What more do we need?
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism