Things you would/wouldn't share with your pastor.

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Things you would/wouldn't share with your pastor.

Postby RMOlson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:18 am

Well I am going to have to give them the one about tattoos because of:
In Leviticus 19:28 Moses wrote:
28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

The context seems to me to mean don’t do either thing if you are doing it for the dead. For example, “cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you” for the dead. Like the author had the afterthought oh yeah no tattoos for the dead either.
Just my thoughts, I am not willing to go to war about it.
RMOlson
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:Let us suppose for the sake of argument that he (or possibly she depending on denomination) is a pretty good pastor. and meets all the basics of:
not given to wine,

Not to be TOO picky, but I was wondering why you modified the original text by removing the word "much"?

Many of the pastors here in Texas are also avid hunters and recognize the fact, that if you have ever been out hunting for an extended period of time, personal nudity and experiencing someone else's nudity are likely... even someone of the opposite gender.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:06 am

New_Adventurer wrote:Why would a centauress need a bra or bikini top? Should she also have a corresponding bottom? It is as pointless as putting pants on a dog or cat.

That is a perfectly logical question for one of the men here to ask, though I suspect that any women members of this board need not ask especially if they are athletic or happen to ride horses a lot.

The need for a bra or bikini top may be more obvious if one thinks in terms of a "Sports Bra" or a "Jog Bra", and the matter would also be a function of how well the Kentauride (AKA "Centauress") is endowed in the department of female pectoral pulchretude.

If you have ever ridden a horse and depending on how the horse handles the various "gaits" and how effectively the rider can "post" (i.e. utilize the legs and the stirrups to minimize the vertical impact of the horses gait), the bra can be a great aid to comfort, and additionally prevent "Cooper's Droop". "Cooper's Droop" is the medical condition in which the Cooper's ligaments, which are the key support to the Mammaries becomes stretched from excessive load and allows the breast to sag.
See at: (for the ligament structure) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper%27s_ligaments
and (specifically for Cooper's Droop phenomenon) at:https://www.sharecare.com/health/womens-health/what-is-coopers-droop

One can also speculate that if the Centauress frequents brushy areas that the soft skin and open position of the humanoid form breast is vulnerable to abrasion from the brush and she might well appreciate the extra protection. After all,getting swatted by a branch when traveling at a full canter or gallop, has gotta sting on sensative skin. :argh: It is all the fault of those pesky humans who ate that fruit causing the introduction of thorns and thistles and the entire earth population now has to put up with that! :roll: :lol: :wink:

On a more serious note:
New_Adventurer wrote:Two of my prior pastors know of my nudist activity and expressed no reservations, the third was aghast that I would run around and let it all hang out, and the most recent and current does not know yet. I will probably tell him some time in the future when I can blend it in with the normal course of whatever conversation we are having at that time.

Hmmmm, could you expand a bit on the reaction of #3 pastor. Did he chide you for what he regarded as your indiscretion or put any restrictions on your Church Involvement, lest you should spread this "heresy" within the congregation, such as was inflicted on Jon Marc?

As to pastors 1,2,3,4 Do you think that denomination or any other factor about them is a predictor of their reactions. or is it simply a random thing among pastors. Or do you think that the nature of the congregation had an influence, (e.g. older, conservative, median age of congregants, etc.), feel free to speculate.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:46 am

From Bare_Truth
Hmmmm, could you expand a bit on the reaction of #3 pastor. Did he chide you for what he regarded as your indiscretion or put any restrictions on your Church Involvement, lest you should spread this "heresy" within the congregation, such as was inflicted on Jon Marc?

That was about three years ago and my recollection is that he was sort of flabbergasted, surprised, and obviously caught off guard. Our topic of conversation several minutes was about him trying to recruit me as a missionary; he was pointing out that having recently retired, I now had the time and resources to become one. I declined his offer (request) and nothing was ever said again about either topic.

Unrelated to that item, that church is having leadership problems and is almost ready to fold. I have a weekly breakfast with four old members and one who joined after my departure. The church's conditions, membership, future, and worship style and music. I am also welcome to return at any time, and the hint was that they really could use some traditional wisdom.

As to pastors 1,2,3,4 Do you think that denomination or any other factor about them is a predictor of their reactions. or is it simply a random thing among pastors. Or do you think that the nature of the congregation had an influence, (e.g. older, conservative, median age of congregants, etc.), feel free to speculate.

The first three pastors are Presbyterian. Number four is Lutheran and the subject of nudism has not been discussed. I also have a Friday morning Bible study group that includes pastor #1; we are working our way through in sequential order. In Corinthians, the term circumcision is used frequently, so much so that I wonder if anyone ever wore clothing. I am waiting for an opening to make that a discussion point. I was also challenged to defend my social nudity as not being a sinful act. More on that in the future after some research on my own, review of postings on this forum, and some private pastoral discussions.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:55 am

3 posts above Natman wrote:Not to be TOO picky, but I was wondering why you modified the original text by removing the word "much"?

Well actually I did not remove it. On one occasion a deacon was speaking and having a little fun at the pastor's expense and he quoted and compaired 1 Timothy 3:3 abd 3:8 from the King James version:
In 1st Timothy the apostle Paul wrote: 1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be ........
3 Not given to wine, .........
8 Likewise must the deacons be ........ not given to much wine, .......

and in expoiunding on that (tongue in cheek) the Deacon pointed out that it was a little easier on the deacons, whereas the Bishop (overseer aka Pastor) was not to be given to wine, the deacons were only limited to "not much" wine! So obvious God allow wine for the deacons, so long as it was not much. So at least the KJV has a difference on that point between the "Bishop" and the "deacons"
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:41 pm

I tend to agree with Petros that "need to know" is the way to go. It's all very well to say we should be open in all things, but I too have been barred from using my gift to lead musical worship in churches because I felt I must share with the leaders that I am a naturist. It's a very awkward thing when something to which God has led me is seen as great sin by brothers and sisters. :argh:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:37 am

jochanaan wrote:I tend to agree with Petros that "need to know" is the way to go. It's all very well to say we should be open in all things, but ........

Of course if you did not share such a matter, which you had no responsibility to share, then if they ever do find out, you will be accused of have been hiding it, and that will then be further inferred to mean that all along you knew that it was the horrible sin that they are now accusing you of.

So then you are being dammed if you do and dammed if you don't by the very people you were trying to bless by sharing your skills and gifts with. Well I guess you will just have to wait to be blessed by the one who is the master that you serve. I am sure he will understand because I think he has some personal experience with that sort of situation. Sometimes people just will not let you bless them because they are suspicious of you, or believe lies about who or what you are or what you do.
When you wrote: I too have been barred from using my gift to lead musical worship in churches because I felt I must share with the leaders that I am a naturist.
were you referring to a previous situation or your current situation, or both?
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:17 am

Bare_Truth wrote:
jochanaan wrote:I tend to agree with Petros that "need to know" is the way to go. It's all very well to say we should be open in all things, but ........

Of course if you did not share such a matter, which you had no responsibility to share, then if they ever do find out, you will be accused of have been hiding it, and that will then be further inferred to mean that all along you knew that it was the horrible sin that they are now accusing you of.

So then you are being dammed if you do and dammed if you don't by the very people you were trying to bless by sharing your skills and gifts with.

Very sad but very true... and it's not just limited to pastoral staff. Fellow Christians and even family might look at you as a filthy heathen. The best we can do is pray that God would help them understand why we are who we are, and treat those folks with love and respect.

I haven't contributed to this strip because I'm in the same boat with most: my naturist/clothesfree lifestyle is the one thing that I would be hesitant to share with a pastor, or anyone for that matter. However, if that person understood how therapeutic being sans vêtements is for me, just like playing/composing music and writing are, then that would be a different story.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 am

Bare_Truth wrote:...were you referring to a previous situation or your current situation, or both?
A previous situation that still exists. I have, quite frankly, been discouraged by the responses from those who should be leaders in reading what the Bible says, not what custom dictates. If I were allowed to speak, I could defend my views on a Biblical basis. But they don't want to hear...
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:05 am

To be fair, it is not only my nudity preference. Churches, like universities and many corners of contemporary society, are assemblages that expect you to be gleichgeschaltet. And I am not. Pastor Priestley would not like my stance on nudity, but he would also take offence at my views on communion, my interpretation of inspiration, inerrancy and "abundant life", and the way I react to the nightly news. My Department Chairman Mao [well, he was Chinese, but that was not his real name] would not like my stance on nudity, but he would also hate my ideas about the curriculum, my being anti-theoretical, my insistence that language grant money go to language students, not people we want to keep in thge department, my political stances.

Long ago I learned - tell people precisely who you are only when you have a good idea who they are. And even then you aren't really safe.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Petros wrote:Long ago I learned - tell people precisely who you are only when you have a good idea who they are. And even then you aren't really safe.

:like: :like: :like:
Well said.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby jude700 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Am hesitant about telling most pastors about many of my tendencies initially.

That said; many know that the Catholic confession is to be borne in strictest confidence and the cincture for revealing sins to another person is removal of many of the licenses or permissions that a priest has.

While in service had two priests, one the chaplain, the other the area associate pastor. talking about sins they had heard. Later was told that due to my being a 26 yo single enlisted it would be prohibited for me to teach CCD (Doctrine) to the students as the might be some involvement. The MSGT father of one of the girls had introduced me to his oldest and we were dating. She was picked up at home and rode the base bus back and forth. Shortly after she said she would be unable to see me anymore.

The new, relatively young chaplain dropped me from my services in the church ministry. This back in the sixties. It is hard for me now to confess face to face until the confessor is well known to me.

Had a recent assigned priest about a year ago imply he would deny me communion if should come up barefoot. He belongs to a group that has a number of branches Discalced, or unshod. What would he say about my being nude :?: :argh:

Some of the priests know about my proclivity.

Christopher West who writes and speaks on "The Theology of the Body" gave a presentation this week:
Where do we come from and where are we going? These questions are DECISIVE for understanding what it means to be human and how to orient our lives and our actions toward authentic fulfillment. Join Christopher West and Mike Mangione as they creatively weave together dynamic presentations with live music, movie clips, YouTube videos, and sacred art for an evening of beauty and reflection on the meaning of life, love, and human destiny. You will come away with a faith-filled vision of hope that will instill in you the sheer wonder and joy of being alive…
God Bless.

Man is a spiritual being, and so has the need to develop his spirit and his conscience.
Pope John Paul II
jude700
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri May 25, 2018 10:30 pm

New_Adventurer wrote:I was also challenged to defend my social nudity as not being a sinful act. More on that in the future after some research on my own, review of postings on this forum, and some private pastoral discussions.

As stated above, (if that is the way the challenge was really posed. It is sort of a sucker challenge. The philosophical maxim is that, "it is impossible to prove a negative". What ever evidence is presented can only be evidence unless one can find a "Thus Sayeth the LORD" declaring that nudity is not a sin. Leaving the only defense to be quoting 1John 3:4
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
and then demanding that one's challenger quote whatever supposed law forbids it, and if he/she can find one that they contend forbids nudity you will show that it does not and any claim that it does is a misreading of the scripture or a mistranslation or an out of context citation all of which are errors of the sort made by those unskilled in reading the scripture. or based on popular maxims that simply are not true. (e.g. that men simply cannot see a naked woman and not lust.... etc.)
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity