New here!

Are you just curious about nudism / naturism? A new naturist? Been one a long time? You can tell us how & why you got started. Just a sentence or a paragraph is enough. You're not ready for naturism yet? That's OK, you can even say so here. New Comers please post here. ALL NUDIST COMMENTS WELCOME HERE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: New here!

Postby Maverick » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:27 am

natman wrote:
Ramblinman wrote:Technically speaking we were in the same state as Houston, but Houston is hundreds of miles to the east and seems like a different world.

At best, El Paso is about 12 hours from Houston....

Ramblinman wrote:I used to read in the paper about heavy snow way up north on the high plains of Dalhart, TX...

... and about 10 hours from Dalhart. And the only skiing you might do in Dalhart is cross-country, which is not quite as much fun (at least for me) as downhill. :(

That said, I still LOVE Texas.

AMEN!
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Ramblinman wrote:And Carlsbad Caverns is a huge wet underground world beneath the west Texas scrub bushes.

Oh Carlsbad! One of the places in the SW that I plan to visit soon. Love Texas. Hill Country is my favorite.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Lionheart » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Texas is a pretty great state in general. Lots of variation. I’m from CA as well. I would prefer a more woodland topography but north Texas will do ok. Several opportunities for nude recreation helps.
Run Wild|Live Free|Love Strong
Lionheart
Permanent Resident

Postby natman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Lionheart wrote:Texas is a pretty great state in general. Lots of variation. I’m from CA as well. I would prefer a more woodland topography but north Texas will do ok. Several opportunities for nude recreation helps.

I live at the bottom edge of the "Great Piney Woods", so we have LOTS of pine trees and tall oak trees. These trees are a blessing and a curse. They offer a lot of shade and drop the temperatures about ten degrees below surrounding areas, but they can make a mess out of a roof when they drop branches or fall altogether.

The Great Piney Woods continue up through the eastern side of Texas and on through Tyler and eastward.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Lionheart » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm

natman wrote:.

The Great Piney Woods continue up through the eastern side of Texas and on through Tyler and eastward.

I need to get out and explore the piney woods more. I have yet to spend any time there.
Run Wild|Live Free|Love Strong
Lionheart
Permanent Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:24 pm

I hope this does not disappoint anyone too much, but Carlsbad Caverns National Park is in New Mexico. Near to but not in Texas.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:11 pm

New_Adventurer wrote:I hope this does not disappoint anyone too much, but Carlsbad Caverns National Park is in New Mexico. Near to but not in Texas.

It used to be in Texas!

In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Always wanted to go to Carlsbad. I'll make it one day, hopefully soon.

Hey Maverick, har! har! on the TX map. A lot of things used to be in Texas, like Mexico. :biggrin:
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:10 am

If you want Texas cavern, check out the Caverns of Sonora.

http://cavernsofsonora.com/

“Its Beauty Can Not be Exaggerated, Even by Texans.”

-Bill Stephenson

Jerry
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:57 pm

There's an interesting area of Texas called "The Lost Pines". It sits out in the prairies, well to the west of Houston but for some reason is a favorable place for pine trees, like the Piney Woods further east. But with that notable exception, it's remarkable how quickly the woods turn to prairie as one heads west of Houston and Tyler. I think that dry winds from Mexico cut off the supply of Gulf moisture to central and western Texas. Once in a while, humid Gulf air blows west to water the prairies and desert, but by and large, the natural flow of wind is from west to east.

The Southern pine forests continue east almost to the Atlantic Ocean where the live oaks are a little more dominant as you get within 20 miles of the shore.
Along the southern Atlantic, there's a maritime belt where more showers pop up and fog is more common than further inland. The ocean itself warms this coastal belt in winter, but the Gulf Stream flows just offshore and accentuates the warming effect. Oddly, in summer the coastal islands can be 10 degrees cooler than the mainland. Well-heeled folks in Brunswick, Savannah and Charleston spend much of their summer on those sea islands for that reason. I reckon there is a similar situation for folks in Houston, Corpus Christi and Victoria.

I love pine trees, their look and fragrance, but I simply don't allow them to grow near the house or driveway. Their limbs are brittle and it doesn't take much wind or ice to drop them.
Azaleas love the semi-shade of pine trees, gives them just the right amount of sunlight.

I might allow a great oak to live a little closer to my house, but I'm still wary. And pecan trees drip sap, not easy to wash off one's car!

If they grow in your climate, I'd stick to smaller trees such as sourwood, Japanese maple, Carolina silverbell, redbud or dogwood. They never get big enough to pose a threat.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 pm

New_Adventurer wrote:I hope this does not disappoint anyone too much, but Carlsbad Caverns National Park is in New Mexico. Near to but not in Texas.

From the perspective of a former El Paso resident, we feel a closer tie to New Mexico's natural wonders and come to think of them as our own.
Unlike the rest of Texas, El Paso County and Hudspeth Counties are in the Mountain Time Zone.
El Paso is closer to the capitals of Arizona, New Mexico and Chihuahua than its own state capital in Austin.
The roads tend to follow the mountain valleys north into New Mexico rather than east over the Davis Mountains and beyond.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Are you a naturist?