Landscaping For Naturism.

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Landscaping For Naturism.

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:11 pm

It occurred to me that there ought to be a topic in this Forum that is devoted to Landscaping that is beneficial to Nudism/naturism. From a naturist point of view Naturism is all the better when the local flora and fauna, ponds lakes streams are optimized to accomodate Naturism and nudity. After all our creator did not just dump human beings into the land of Eden but rather in the land of Eden he planted a very nice garden for them to inhabit
In Genesis Chapter 2 and verse 8 Moses wrote: 8 ¶And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. 9 And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
So the paradisical gardan was not "Eden" but rather was a specially landscaped area in the "Land of Eden" But my point was that the area had been landscaped to optomize it for the pair of nude gardeners who were going to reside there.

Ok everybody knows the account but now to make a place just right for our enjoyment requires doing the landscaping ourselves, and that is what this topic is about. Be it that you own over 100 acres, or just a moderate rural tract, or a lot in a subdivision. The landscaping is up to you if you want to live in a Nudist friendly micro environment.

Anyone who has read many of my posts to date probably already knows I have 20 rural acres, and I have expoiunded at length about my "grassy field (Not the same as my lawn but more than a pasture). And there is of course my woods with all the trails I have made in it as well as some clearings that I maintain, and I blush to say that I nearly GUSH about the virtues of bamboo and its value to naturists, (especially in the privacy area) and if this strip catches on I may just assemble a synopsis about bamboo so the salient points show up in one place. But come on, guys and gals, I am not the repository of all horticultural knowledge around here, some of you have plenty to say about nudist mini and micro environments.; sometimes seeking knowledge and other times sharing knowledte ! It would be nice to have this special interest topic expounded mostly in one place as a repository to be referenced by those seeking or sharing this particular topic by which we nudists/naturists improve our opportunitys to practice nude living.

Let the posting and gathering of this knowledge begin.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Landscaping For Naturism.

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:09 pm

SILAX BABYLONICA
No that is not another kind of bamboo that I am going to expound on, but rather something that can be used similarly to bamboo, as an alternate to bamboo, or as in my case as an adjunct to bamboo. So there I have more than a one track mind, I have a multi track mind, (albeit I will allow that some of those could be derailed :wink: ).

For some of you scripture buffs might think of where it is used as a musical instruiment rack.
The Psalmist wrote: 1 By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.
2 We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.
3 For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion.

You see, "Silax Babylonica" is the botanical name for the Weeping Willow. (See at: https://www.arborday.org/trees/treeGuide/TreeDetail.cfm?itemID=938 )
At the link provided there are pictures of this variety of tree and if you consider them you will see that this variety of tree has a little mentioned feature that can be important to naturists. It is a tree that can provide visual privacy all the way to the ground but you can still walk under it because the leaves hang on strands that are like those curtans of beaded strings sometimes hung in doorways that can be brushed aside to gain access.

My bamboo groves providt hedge like privacy to a height of 20 feet. This is sufficient to block roadside viewing to high cab trucks and school busses loaded with children etc. but my bamboo groves must have a gap at the driveway, and the weeping willos can be strategically placed to limit viewing much past the immediate driveway entrance area. In this manner viewing can be limited to the front of the house and the space from the house to the road, so the side yards back yard, pond, and grassy field, the vegetable garden can all be kept private without having build yet another bamboo wall. Plus the willow provides yet more variety in the environment.

So this tree can augment or possibly even replace my bamboo groves. The tree grows fast into a "shrub configuration and then into a tree and it does so quickly It does not strongly self propogate, Its growth early on can be accelerated by daily watering. It is water loving and can be planted on stream banks to stabilize them. Its water thirst can be used to dry up soggy areas more promptly :D But it would be a bad choice to plant in or close to a septic tank drain field :shock: So what I am trying to illustrate here is that with attention to various varieties beauty can be enhanced and monoculture can be avoided so that a single disease won't destroy you carefully planned eden. And whlle I have often posted on ways to achieve desirable effects, my experience as a hortaculturist / arborist / ? / whatever, is not so great as to be encyclopedic, and I would love (and I think others too) to encourage discussion about how various landscape tricks have helped to accomodate your naturist lifestyle and solve or avoid problems (particularly with neighbors and the "authorities")

So there are a lot of things that can be done to enhance the environment for naturist living by landscaping. Suppose for instance you put in a pond on one side of your property and needed privacy from beyond the far shore. Bamboo would not invade your pond. Mowing the far shore/beach every spring would suffice to keep access to that shore but if it is not spring fed willows might drink too much of the water. There is a myriad of knowledge that can be applied to great benefit, I would like to see better sharing of that knowledge. Please post.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:30 pm

For me the back yard is totally adequate. A six-foot fence, no elevated sight lines, back door to hot tub is a short distance, and I generally prefer evening or night so as to prevent sun exposure problems.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:55 pm

New_Adventurer wrote:For me the back yard is totally adequate. A six-foot fence, no elevated sight lines, back door to hot tub is a short distance, and I generally prefer evening or night so as to prevent sun exposure problems.

Agree, although I PREFER sun exposure.

Our backyard is very private with lots of flowering and fruit-baring plants, a spa for cooling down or warming up and a patio swing to relax on. We even have our own clothing plant (a fig tree) just in case. :mrgreen:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:SILAX BABYLONICA

The genus is Salix, as it is for all members of the willow family.
Willows are generally a deciduous tree, so one would bare all to the neighbors on a winter nude ramble.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Ramblinman wrote:
Bare_Truth wrote:Willows are generally a deciduous tree, so one would bare all to the neighbors on a winter nude ramble.
To say that a plant is deciduous means it drops its leaves annually but exactly when the leaves drop can vary The upland laural Oak holds green leaves all winter and does not drop them until spring when the new leaves are coming out. My yellow groove bamboo does the same keeping the full green color all winter (one of the reason it makes good winter browse for many herd animals)

Willow_In_Winter.jpg
Left click for higher resolution

As this image shows, not all variants go leafless all winter, althout I would have to say the image does not do much to inspire nudity. Nevertheless in winter the possibility of visual obstruction looks pretty likely for that variety.

One would have to know the behavior of the particular cultivar that one chooses to plant for winter privacy use. Of course Juniperis Virginiana (Red Cedar) should prove suitable if winter privacy is a high priority, although my yellow groove bamboo also meets that requirement nicely too.

But the point you make makes my point about wanting to share landscaping information so as to help our fellow Nudists/Naturists maximize the nude living opportunities on their property.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:50 pm

On our small village lot, it would take quite a bit to get enough privacy for nudity. Six feet is the maximum allowed for a fence, and some neighbors' windows might still allow a view. We also want to grow a few vegetables, and it's hard to find enough sunny space.

But our absent neighbors have an ugly garage at our property line. I planted sunchokes along the wall about a month ago and they are already hiding it to 3 feet height. They might be one of the quickest natural visual barriers around, and have tasty tubers as well.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:31 am

I’m not patient enough to grow a natural barrier, I’m building a fence, however my first thought upon reading the title of the strip was concerning natural bug repellant plants. We have planted a bed of lavender along the back of our house, hoping to get rid of some of the mosquitoes and biting gnats that currently plague our yard. Havnt seen much change yet, I’m hoping that as they grow that they will become more aromatic and ease our bug issues
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:39 am

nakedpreacher wrote:I’m not patient enough to grow a natural barrier, I’m building a fence, however my first thought upon reading the title of the strip was concerning natural bug repellant plants. We have planted a bed of lavender along the back of our house, hoping to get rid of some of the mosquitoes and biting gnats that currently plague our yard. Havnt seen much change yet, I’m hoping that as they grow that they will become more aromatic and ease our bug issues

Mosquitoes can be controlled by removing habitat. In my yard, I notice the mosquitoes most where the English ivy grows, which I don't particularly like anyway. I rip it out and bag it.
Tipping over containers with standing water is an obvious suggestion, but if you do a walk-through, you may be surprised at how many little places are collecting water: flower pots, yard junk, buckets. Mosquitoes are small and don't need a lot of water to lay their eggs and let the wigglers grow to maturity.
I can't control my neighbors' behavior, and mosquitoes fly over from elsewhere in my town.
I curtail my outdoor time when they are most active.
I do enjoy relaxing outdoors after sundown, so I am planning a screened-in area for that.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:49 am

Jim wrote:On our small village lot, it would take quite a bit to get enough privacy for nudity. Six feet is the maximum allowed for a fence, and some neighbors' windows might still allow a view...

One way around a six-foot height limit is to bank up the soil by a foot or two and then build a six-foot fence on top of that. It will be seven or eight feet higher than most of your yard, but no more than six feet above the ground directly beneath the fence.

My zoning code allows for higher fences in the back yard than the six-foot maximum height restriction in the front yard and virtually no limit on privacy fences sufficiently far back from the property line.
Shrubs that grow tall will eventually offer privacy along the fence line. Some shrubs require pruning or they will open up where privacy was most wanted: that first six feet above the ground.
As many varieties of shrub grow, it will direct more of its new growth high above the ground.
I have a big Chinese holly that shows no sign of "opening up", but Leland cypress is bad about that, unless pruned.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:22 pm

nakedpreacher wrote:I’m not patient enough to grow a natural barrier, I’m building a fence, however my first thought upon reading the title of the strip was concerning natural bug repellant plants. We have planted a bed of lavender along the back of our house, hoping to get rid of some of the mosquitoes and biting gnats that currently plague our yard. Havnt seen much change yet, I’m hoping that as they grow that they will become more aromatic and ease our bug issues

nakedpreacher wrote: I’m not patient enough to grow a natural barrier, I’m building a fence,
Yes, there is that aspect, I have found that planting yellow grove bamboo in a double row spaced about3 feet apart with culms about 6 to 10 feet tall, every 2 feet in each row staggering the plants between the two rows will yield a hedge wiich is starting to have privacy in about 3 years maybe 2 and be about 6 to 8 feet tall, by 4 years the hedge will be 10 to 12 feet tall, maybe 14. So yes this is a longer time frame than is suitable for someone who moves every few years. However if you have some areas that are usable otherwise, such hedges (aka groves) can be planned to expand the usable area. I am finding that the weeping willows may even grow faster but will require wider spacing due to plant size. Here in Missouri, the state forestry department has tree nurseries that will provide various varieties of trees for free although the thorny ones would be a poor choice, but the cedars could prove useful. Also they can provide advice on varieties disease resistance planting schemes etc. Being explicit about your needs goals and motivations would be helpful for best effect. In rural areas where electricity is usually from REA co-ops consulting with them may prove useful as not all trees are equally friendly toward power lines, however with respect to Bamboo I have had to spend a good bit of time explaining why my variety of bamboo is far more powerline friendly that most other options. e.g. bamboo lays down in ice storms and will not fall on lines and short them out or break them Bamboo height is consistant and predictable. etc.

nakedpreacher wrote: my first thought upon reading the title of the strip was concerning natural bug repellant plants.
I am delighted that you brought this thought out. I would like to see further discussion on that theme. Right now the only point in which we are benefitting from this sort of effect is that the flies that used to plague the east side of the house (warm morning sun) seem to no longer be a problem since the peppermint plants have become a vital and vigorous bed of this aeromatic herb (not to mention the very nice tea it makes. Please expoind on insect repelling herbs that is a great topic.

A related issue to herbal repellent relates to advice I was given about renting a vacation condo on the virginia beach front along the atlantic beaches. The advice was make sure the balcony is 10 or more feet above the ground so the insects won't be a bother. Where we stayed this proved to be true. Now where we live I am seeing the same thing. our house is dug into a hillside so that the poured concrete basement is only slightly above ground level on the east side but on the west side there is an 8foot drive out door from the basement and just as soon as one gets off the 8 foot wide concrete slab, the ground fall off and by the time one is about 10 feet farther out the ground has dropped by another foot. A wrap around deck stands on that concrete slab and we can go out on that deck and be nearly insect free but at ground level on that side the bugs would soon find a person and if the bug is a mosquito and the person is a naturist.......... well you get the picture. You will want to be up on the deck to watch the sunset and not at ground level. But further the prevailing wind is from the west so the deck gets a good breeze much of the time and the trees and bamboo groveare positioned such as to not inhibit that air flow. And I should note that elongated bamboo groves can act as vanes to guide the air flow toward such areas as well as serve as wind brakes. depending on how they are situated, and that would be true of other tall hedging foliage.

nakedpreacher wrote: When chosing varieties of plants selecting varieties of given species can be important such as making sure that your subspecies of lavender happens to be particularly aromatic. The extra effort to get good advice and maybe even a bit of extra cost may be well justified.

Nakedpreacher, I really appreciate your response as you have helped bring out the breadth of this whole topic about landscaping ponds could be another topic, windbreaks another etc. etc. And of course when one is trying to optomize the situation for naturist enjoyment that can have a considerable impact. So just what sorts of things work for naturism/nudism can cover a lot of breadth of discussion. I understand that in grape growing areas, that a grape arbor consisting of a grid work supported on posts and then planted round about with grape vines can offer a substitute for shade trees as well as provide fruit etc. Does anyone have some input to offer on that sort of feature? Surely some naturists from the vinyard regions of California etc. must have some sort of input to offer. Here in missouri where I live the high humidity in the summer, exacerbated by the pond just 50 yards from the house gives me all sorts of mold problem which is the nemesis of many varieties of fruit. Likewise if you want apples you do not want cedars as there is a fungus that alternates between the cedars and apples. Our pond is optimally suited for viewing from the house and deck and bedroom :D but not if one wants fruit trees or a vinyard around the house :cry: .
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:08 pm

nakedpreacher wrote:I’m not patient enough to grow a natural barrier, I’m building a fence, however my first thought upon reading the title of the strip was concerning natural bug repellant plants. We have planted a bed of lavender along the back of our house, hoping to get rid of some of the mosquitoes and biting gnats that currently plague our yard.

I hadn't heard that lavender would repel mosquitoes or gnats, however, we found out that it does attract bees. My wife applied some "natural" lavender body spray, stepped outside and was almost immediately stung by a bee that lighted on her under her arm and then stung her. When she looked at the bottle, it said, "May attract bees".

That being the case, if you have flowers or fruiting trees that you want to have pollinated, perhaps having lavender around may be useful. Just be careful when walking around near it.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:41 pm

I can attest to the power of lavender in attracting bees and that can be a good thing if you want pollination.
Russian sage flowers, Abelia bushes, oregano and most other herb flowers are also attractive to bees.

Although bumble bees are not looking for a fight, if they mistake you for a flower and land on the underside of your arm, this misunderstanding degenerates into a war fairly predictably.

You might want to spray your fruit trees and berry bushes with lavender fragrance rather than one's body!

Mosquitoes are confused by smoke, but they don't really go away, they just hover nearby until they find your body by its heat signature.
A bug zapper attracts mosquitoes and flies with its blue light, but it then electrocutes them.
Many folks in the South use bug zappers as a source of entertainment as they sit on the porch of an evening.
Since it attracts mosquitoes, you may want to mount it away from where you dine or swim outdoors.
And in Florida, many folks realize that a screen house over a pool or picnic table is the only way to be more or less outdoors and not eaten alive.
And flies and yellow jackets simply won't take "no" for an answer when there's food out.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:24 am

Blooming clover is one thing that creates a problem for barefoot walkers.
I am careful to mow clover in parts of my yard where I tend to walk, because I often do so without shoes.
It attracts bees and they are right under foot when they pollinate clover.
But that doesn't mean that I don't want it at all. I do, just not on foot paths.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:23 pm

For those who are wanting a privacy screen but can't wait to grow one, I will throw in the following about weeping willows. This spring I
-- pruned off some small branches from some of my willows, less than pencil dimager and about 2 feet long.. I cut some larger holes in the top of plastic milk jugs of 1/2 gallon size, and made a large hole oppolste the handle and left top pouring hole open and filled the jug with potting soil.
-- I inserted 4 of the branches in each jug, and saturated the soil with water and kept them wet while they sat in the sun.
-- The buds turned into leaves and then sprigs and every branch rooted and thrived until they started to get "root bound" The yield of plantable willows was 100%
-- I have used water jugs to give the willows 1/2 gallon of water a day, (more convenient than dragging a hose that far).After a couple of weeks every one of them has become a waist high shrub.
-- their growth rate is impressive, even putting to shame the initial growth rate of my beloved bamboo. For many purposes they rival if not surpass slightly the bamboo. Planted in a double row staggering the plants between the rows, I expect that they may rival and possibly or exceed the privacy barrier performance of the bamboo at least in some aspects. I am going to have to continue to persue this as a viable approach. If they successfully establish a privacy barrier, I will certainly have to say that they are significantly easier to transplant. It appears that with the willows, that hot sunny weather accompanied by extensive watering is getting them off to a surprising start. Between bamboo and willows, I definately have to give the edge to the bamboo as to the visual impenetrability and physical impenetrability (not that the bamboo is actually physically impenetrable, but I think that some would find willows an excellent option from what I have seen so far. Check back in a year and see how that is going for me. I doubt however that the willows will prove to be the gravel road dust barrier that bamboo is, but if you live along a paved road that may not be an issue. But with plenty of water and fertilizer those weeping willows are looking pretty good for the privacy function.

How about the rest of you guys? Anybody care to sing the praises of other hedging vegetation? (After weeping willows and bamboo don't necessarily grow well everywhere. then again thorning hedging plants might be less than desriable... :roll:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism