Future Decisions

Members are invited to post their prayer requests, and lift up their prayers on behalf of one another. Please start a new thread for each request.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Future Decisions

Postby natman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 am

As I recall, a windshield crack is only an issue if it goes from one edge of the windshield to another.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby New_Adventurer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:41 am

Are we talking about an automobile or a reference to something else?
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby NudeDude92 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 pm

natman wrote:As I recall, a windshield crack is only an issue if it goes from one edge of the windshield to another.

Which it more or less does on my tacoma.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't your sport.
NudeDude92
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:36 am

As I have seen it, insurance companies take ANY windshield crack VERY seriously and will replace it immediately for even a thrown gravel starring.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:03 pm

An engineer? What does he do, drive a train? I get this all the time too. What they are really sayiing is that he is different from us, and therefore we do not know how to evaluate him. Educators do not need to question whether an engineer is smart enough to teach; what they really need to do is recognize that to become an engineer you need to demonstrate a lot more smarts, flexibility, ingenuity, and determination. All the same skills that teachers need.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Nude Dude
I am an engineer and have been professionally licensed in both Virgina and Texas. I started off with a BS in Physics and a minor in Math and social studies and education. and a 2ndary Teaching certificate In Michigan and Minnesota. After 2 years I left teaching and went back to college to get an engineering degree and in 3 years came away with a Masters in Mechanical engineering and for 13 years did design work on nuclear Reactors and specialized tooling for them. I went back to college again and came away with a Phd in mechanical engineering and taught at 3 different universities and came away after 17 years as a tenured Associate Professor and took early retirement. So I might be able to offer you insights should you be interested. If so, drop me a PM and I will see what I might have to offer you. For starters if you are looking seek employment in engineering I recommend that you seek to get a professional engineering license. It won't do much for making you a better engineer but it will document that you have achieved a certain level of experience, it is necessary to do certain types of work, It will improve your opportunities to testify in court as an expert witness (some significant additional income can come from that not to mention prestiege) In many companies it is critical for advancing into promotions and getting into management where the big bucks are easier to achieve. Alas it rarely if ever makes you a better engineer (I have unfortunetly met too many P.E.'s who could not engineer their way out of a wet paper bag). If you want to go the engineering employment rouite it may behoove you to get a master's degree or higher as it will serve as not only advanced study but also a freshening of your expertise With a P.E. and educational teaching backgrounds it opens up the professional teaching opportunities, particularly at Undergraduate programs. However you may incure a "Publish or Perish" mandate. Etc. etc. etc.

I get the impression that you are headed tor employment territory where I have already been and thrived. If contact by pm seems helpful then we may want to make phone contact for the sake of expediency.
Sincerely
Bare_Truth
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Petros wrote:Tell me about it. Then stand back as my experience with said system spews forth!
It is not - or 99.44% is not - an educatuional system now, but a socialization system.

Aaaaayyyy mennnn, :!: AAAAaaaaaaaayyyyyyyymennn :!: Aaamenn :!: AAAmen :!: Amen :!: Amen :!:

Sing it brother, Y'all in trouble now, Ya done gone and committed TRUTH! Careful, they are lible to git ya for that :!:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:35 am

Had a very good talk with Number One Son [home schooled plus a technical degree] last night about that very thing.

Truth is a hate crime.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 am

Telling the truth can get you banned from YouTube, twitter, etal
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby NudeDude92 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:33 pm

DSCN0444.JPG
RTFL
New_Adventurer wrote: What they are really sayiing is that he is different from us, and therefore we do not know how to evaluate him. Educators do not need to question whether an engineer is smart enough to teach; what they really need to do is recognize that to become an engineer you need to demonstrate a lot more smarts, flexibility, ingenuity, and determination. All the same skills that teachers need.

Certainly agree. This has been my contention the whole time. But alas, those in the ivory tower can hear little more than their own voices.

Bare_Truth, I don't plan to pursue Engineering professionally. Let me explain:

As a boy, I had always had a penchant for building stuff, fixing stuff, and "inventing"(if you can call it that). I pursued my BSME as part of a poorly devised plan to follow "my dreams" (not so much mine to begin with I realize now). I realize now I should have gone to a trade school. As part of my fixing things obsession, I learned while in college how to actually diagnose and fix issues in small engine applications. I then moved up to the same thing in car and truck motors, having a well used F-150 to fix up and maintain. I feel like I have enough of a knack for it that I could do it for a living. Hence, I should have gone to trade/tech school. This way I could have gotten a better paying job that I could for a "career", and give my Mrs an option to be a stay at home mom if God were to bless us with children. So right now, I'm going to be seeking jobs in my skill sets. They are: Heavy Machinery operation/Warehouse, foodservice, mechanic and whatever else I might find I like doing. I don't think God was really blessing my college time for any other reason than the amazing woman He paired me with while there.

That all said, I don't think I could do Engineering if that's where God led me, but I don't plan to. I haven't take the FE and don't plan to. Even if I did, I still have to work as a Junior Engineer for at least 5 years before I can apply for a PE License. I think my tentative plan to seek employment in construction, working heavy machinery. I have been certified in the past with class 7 RTFL's(like this one above I drove for my college) and I think I could easily get certified again or trained on skid steers for example.
DSCN0444.JPG
" alt="" />
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't your sport.
NudeDude92
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:20 pm

NudeDude92
From what you have added to your description I would say that you would make a superb "field engineer". In my work as a a designer in the nuclear engineering field, the company created a division to do the field repair and assessment work that required a mix of engineering and hands on technical skills. Not that you would need to be in the nuclear field to find that sort of work. Lots of companies need people who fall into that gap between the designer and the hands on technician. Someone who has the insights as to why something was engineered the way it was, someone who can communicate technically to an engineer as to why some piece of equipment failed, or how it could be made better, someone who can percieve why something failed (e.g. someone can percieve if a failure resulted from the operator misapplying it or the designer used the wrong metallurgy properties in the material). It sounds like your interests and skillset probably make you well suited for that sort of work. Someone who knows what sort of temporary fix will get the machinery back up and running and knows when something that looks like it should work has a fatal flaw that won't stand up to the task. Someone who knows that this alloy of metal will work for a repair and someone who understands that that alloy is doomed to the same or worse failure. The kind of crew member who can get the crippled lunar lander back home or get a piece of heavy equipment back out of the predicament it is in without making the situation worse. You sound like the kind of person who can fill that niche and make a good reputation as the go-to-guy who whips up small miracles on the spot. I knew a lot of guys like that. I also got a reputation for working with the guys in the factory who asked the guys in the fabrication facility for their suggestions and also explained to them why something would or would not work, so that we could find a way forward. best wishes for finding your dream employment where you can and will prosper.
Bare_Truth
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Worship in Prayer