Others

What does Christ teach about the issues of life? Make sure you back up your opinions with scripture, and always be courteous and polite in talking with others.<P>Only Permanent and Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Others

Postby jdb » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:46 pm

I have often encouraged others to follow Christ. Will they do it? I wish they would but it is out of my hands.

I like Natman's statement, I struggle with this because I know that if Christ has set you free, then you are free indeed. If we know that something that the world ASSUMES is evil (sin) is not evil (sinful) in the eyes of the Lord, it is hard to stop from wanting to free others from the self-imposed oppression.

It is hard to stop from wanting to free others from the self-imposed oppression whether its in following Christ or nudism.

John
jdb
Resident

Location: Natalia, Texas, SW of San Antonio on the way to Laredo

Postby baresoul » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:19 pm

I can agree, I see God sets some aside, and with more restriction in their life God uses that for more opportunity in their ministry, for more blessings, to them and to others through them
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:19 pm

This may have been what was considered.

Others May, You Cannot

If God has called you to be really like Jesus, He will draw you into a life of crucifixion and humility, and put upon you such demands of obedience, that you will not be able to follow other people, or measure yourself by other Christians, and in many ways He will seem to let other good people do things which He will not let you do.

Other Christians and ministers who seem very religious and useful, may push themselves, pull wires, and work schemes to carry out their plans, but you cannot do it; and if you attempt it, you will meet with such failure and rebuke from the Lord as to make you sorely penitent.

Others may boast of themselves, of their work, of their success, of their writings, but the Holy Spirit will not allow you to do any such thing, and if you begin it, He will lead you into some deep mortification that will make you despise yourself and all your good works.

Others may be allowed to succeed in making money, or may have a legacy left to them, but it is likely God will keep you poor, because He wants you to have something far better than gold, namely, a helpless dependence on Him, that He may have the privilege of supplying your needs day by day out of an unseen treasury.

The Lord may let others be honored and put forward, and keep you hidden in obscurity, because He wants you to produce some choice, fragrant fruit for His coming glory, which can only be produced in the shade. He may let others be great, but keep you small. He may let others do a work for Him and get the credit for it, but He will make you work and toil on without knowing how much you are doing; and then to make your work still more precious, He may let others get the credit for the work which you have done, and thus make your reward ten times greater then Jesus comes.

The Holy Spirit will put a strict watch over you, with a jealous love, and will rebuke you for little words and feelings, or for wasting your time, which other Christians never seem distressed over. So make up your mind that God is an infinite Sovereign, and has a right to do as He pleases with His own. He may not explain to you a thousand things which puzzle your reason in His dealings with you, but if you absolutely sell yourself to be His love slave, He will wrap you up in a jealous love, and bestow upon you many blessings which come only to those who are in the inner circle.

Settle it forever, then, that you are to deal directly with the Holy Spirit, and that He is to have the privilege of tying your tongue, or chaining your hand, or closing your eyes, in ways that He does not seem to use with others. Now when you are so possessed with the loving God that you are, in your secret heart, pleased and delighted over this peculiar, personal, private, jealous guardianship and management of the Holy Spirit over your life, you will have found the vestibule of Heaven.

G. D. Watson, in Living Words
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:15 am

Interesting that you found that. Our copy is long gone - but that seems very likely.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby OzTech » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:17 pm

Just a comment about meat and milk... a person can be 60 years (a whole lifetime) in the Lord and still only be on milk or only a few years in the Lord and already into the meat of the gospel. We have young people, the children of my pears (maybe even grand children), that could have a better grasp of the meat of the Word than I do and I've been reading and hearing the Word of God preached for just over 65 years (i.e. since I was born). Sometimes the problem is that we have to un-learn those things that were assumed (like 'nudity is sinful') back when we first came to the Lord. Other times it's that we've come to a deeper, clearer understanding of certain aspect of the life of God which our children grasp straight away while we still struggle to get our heads around it. And then there's those people that come to God to escape hell then continue to live as they please without any attempt to seek out those things of God written in His word and reveal by the Spirit (i.e. "tell me what to do and I'll do it but just don't trouble me with all the details").

Personally, I try to avoid any situations where others may become offended by my actions (e.g. baring all in Burke St... the main street of Melbourne... second largest city down under in Oz) and would probably only question chapter and verse for matters where, as Christians, people say we are required to live a certain way or do certain things so that they would need to be certain that their understanding of the Word is accurate. Big issue... we fall in the trap of trying to be righteous through the Law (following rules and regulations) rather than by grace and trust in the finished work of Christ. (This is a major study within itself).
If all else fails.... read the instructions
OzTech
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:59 am

Big issue... we fall in the trap of trying to be righteous through the Law (following rules and regulations) rather than by grace and trust in the finished work of Christ. (This is a major study within itself).

Indeed. Myself, I tend to see this as one of the features of human (even if theoretically God centered) institutions - Babel is only a few blocks away.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Christianity and Ethics