Changing as children get older

We hear a lot of talk about harming children nowadays. Doesn't exposing them to nudity in the home (and elsewhere) give them a warped outlook on life?<P>Only Native and Permanent Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Changing as children get older

Postby willbtan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:53 am

For several years now I have talked with people with children, also read many forum posts, and I have been just flat out puzzled. It seems that couples will be fine with nudity at home and in social settings. They then have children and most of the time that does not change their nude times. However, when the children get to be 4-6 years old, it varies from couple to couple, they have a sudden need to change things. They no longer feel it is appropriate for them to been seen nude by their children. This really bothers me. I have trouble understanding why nudity was alright one day and then the next it is terrible.
I guess I feel sorry for the children, as they are then being taught that the body is bad and things fall into the way the rest of society thinks, which in my view is unhealthy.
As has been stated in other posts, children from early on have no problem with nudity, but have to be taught it is wrong. I wish there was a way to help young families realize what a blessing it is for family nudity, how healthy it is for them and their children.

Bring up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Willbtan
willbtan
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:10 pm

I think that what you are noticing is common among families where nudity is acceptable within the house, but because of social norms, they are afraid for others to know that they practice it. 3 - 4 is about the age where little children become more social and more vocal.

I believe these parents are probably more concerned that their children may tell others that they run around the house naked.

Thanks to Queen Victoria at her finest.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Desert Hiker » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:31 pm

We are NOT amused
Peace In Christ, Sam

Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart...--Job
Desert Hiker
Councillor

Postby Strandloper » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:22 pm

Interesting that different approaches can result in the same outcome: body shame.
My mother barred us from seeing her naked after we turned four.
My wife, even to this day, will tolerate being seen naked (or wrapped in a towel, or sitting on the toilet), but will protest about her privacy.
I encouraged my children in nakedness around the house when they were little, but my wife subtly began encouraging body shame when puberty came along, and today you wouldn’t believe that at one time they had been completely open about nudity.
What gets into these people?
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:47 pm

Strandloper wrote:What gets into these people?

Um... sin? :cry:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:29 pm

Strandloper wrote:...What gets into these people?

More like needless guilt and fear. :cry:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby LivingFree » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:35 am

My son told us recently that when their daughter was six her mother told her that now she could no longer be naked around her daddy (they definitely are not nudists). I guess this happened without too much couple agreement, but then, guess who wears the pants in that family.

From where I sit, it's not only Queen Victoria, but the entire northern half of Europe that first wore clothing most of the year for warmth, and then also enforced clothing to keep kids from acting out sexually before marriage. But that actually goes back thousands of years, at least for girls in many countries (although not all).

What disturbs me is that telling someone something is bad only heightens the temptation to try it out. (Didn't we ever learn from Eve?) It's so much easier to let children know all there is to know about the body, and also instruct them by precept and example that certain body functions are only for a married couple (i.e. Mommies and Daddies). Not all of them will get the message, but I venture to say a lot more would than those who do, today.
LivingFree

Postby jochanaan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:06 pm

LivingFree wrote:...It's so much easier to let children know all there is to know about the body, and also instruct them by precept and example that certain body functions are only for a married couple (i.e. Mommies and Daddies). Not all of them will get the message, but I venture to say a lot more would than those who do, today.

Exactly. As I've said elsewhere, how can we expect young people to make good decisions based on no information? Or worse, bad information such as they could get from Penthouse or their peers? :?:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby bnlrndcplmd » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:23 am

In my child hood I remember there were two types of parents. One of which you described here and the type my parents were. In our house, being nude was never discussed unless there was a problem with relationships in the textile world that impacted any one of us. Neither I or my parents were nude all the time, it just does not work in our world or society, but there were no stigma's and no fears about it at home or anywhere else and without thinking when we came in from outside, we went our way within the home and emerged 99 percent of the time nude or covered only to keep warm (Mom had the coldes feet on the planet and the most creative sock collection...lol). If nude, you were nude, if not, then you were not. I remember many playmates in my early years that were not to be seen again, of course their parents were still around at gatherings or parks. I also remember my Mom telling me after one incident where I inquired where Johnny was; to never ask that of another adult again. I suppose it created discomfort, she further explained that adults do what they believe is best for their own family and we need only be concerned with our own lives and how we live it, to not question, judge or criticize because you cannot blame some one for doing what they feel is the right thing to do.

I carry that wisdom with me today.
BILL
II COR 5:7
bnlrndcplmd
Native Resident

Return to What about the children?