NEWS: Nude church service called off afer threats in Netherl

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

NEWS: Nude church service called off afer threats in Netherl

Postby bn2bnude » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:02 pm

http://www.sindhtoday.net/world/23885.htm

Amsterdam, Sep 26 (DPA) A group of Dutch nudists called off a special church service to be held in a nudist park after receiving threats, a spokesman for the group said Friday.

In June, the Christian Gan Eden nudists held their first church service at the Flevo-Natuur nudist park in Zeewolde in the eastern Netherlands and planned to hold a second service.

However, the group was hit by numerous emails and phone calls, many of them threatening, the Gan Eden spokesman said. The church service was called off and the group shut its website down.

‘I do not understand the fuss,’ the spokesman said. ‘We are just a group of Christians who want to have our own church service.’
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:55 pm

:x :roll: :cry:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:28 pm

I've been trying to figure our who it was an what was threatened.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Larryk1052 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:35 am

Why would any one care if a group of naked people got together to worship God? This is an odd story.
Larry in Kentucky

"Nude" just means barefoot all over.
Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Larryk1052 wrote:Why would any one care if a group of naked people got together to worship God? This is an odd story.

There are "Christians" who feel it's their duty and right to judge, condemn, and even persecute anyone who claims to be a Christian and actually LIKES to be nude. One of my nephews told a man that I like to be nude. The man said, "He's a Christian, and he LIKES to be naked?" From what my nephew told me, the man was flabbergasted and couldn't understand how anyone claiming to be a Christian could possibly actually WANT to be naked. After I took my nephew to a nudist resort with me, I think he learned why I like it so much. He would actually walk through the house nude after that--something he never did before that.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:20 pm

I tend to suspect "radical Muslim" terrorists like those who killed Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh. But it's not beyond possibility that some who call themselves Christians are behind some of the threats...
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 am

A follow up article in Ananova states Christian nudity is a "movement".

Naked mass axed

Christian naturists have scrapped a planned naked mass in Holland after opposition from other worshippers.

Naked celebrants abandoned plans to hold a second service after media coverage of their first mass, held in a nudist park, led to a flood of angry phone calls and emails from more orthodox Christians.

"I don't understand what all the fuss is about," a spokesman for the Gan Eden or Garden of Eden group told the Daily Telegraph.

"We are just a group of Christians and we want to hold a church service."

The Dutch naturist Christians, part of a global movement, held their first service in June, when a clothed priest presided over a nude congregation of 80 people in Zeewolde.

But such was the barrage of hostile public opinion, the second religious event was cancelled and Gan Eden's website shut down.

"Because of the negative publicity and the lurid curses in the guest book we have been obliged to close the site temporarily," says the group's website.

"It is a problem that this proves to be necessary in a country which calls itself tolerant."

Christian naturists take the tale of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden as the model for their beliefs and ceremonies.
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:43 am

*shakes head, sighs* So I was off-base; the threats were coming from our own brothers and sisters. :cry:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:23 pm

Some Christians are very verbal about their disapproval of Christians who claim to be nudists/naturists. A newspaper article that featured me was criticized online. One remark I remember is when it said that I was a Christian naturist, someone added, "No he isn't"--meaning I was not a Christian. They "knew" there was no such thing as a "Christian" naturist. That's the type of judgment and condemnation we face by pious, self-righteous, self-appointed judges of Christians, and particularly any who have the audacity to call themselves "Christian naturists." In their minds there is no such thing as a "Christian" naturist since being naked is sinful in their opinion.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Desert Hiker » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:49 pm

Hmmmm...I heard Amsterdam was supposed to be tolerant of nudity, amongst other things :roll:

On the other hand, its not surprising to me that the uber-prudes of the modern days pharisees among Christians, are being militant about their views. They are so wrapped up in passing judgment on others that they fail to notice the un-Christ like duplicity of their own actions--such as making threats, and leaving lurid curses on a public website. :x :oops:

Humph! They may think that we Christian nudists are an embarrassment, or provide a "poor witness" to others, but truly they are an even greater embarrassment, and what kind of witness does their behavior provide. I know that I would not be willing to point to them as a shining example to others. :(
Peace In Christ, Sam

Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart...--Job
Desert Hiker
Councillor

Return to Nude News